Support For My Cloud Changing

I connect to the Mycloud SAN on the same network as my devices. Will the wireless connection on my mobile devices and wireless laptop no longer work after April 15?

Will the only way to connect to the device require a wired Ethernet connection from my laptop?

You will still be able to connect via wifi on your phone and laptop if they are on your home network. You won’t be able to connect with your phone over cellular as that constitutes remote access.

So I upgraded to OS5 a few months back, but over the last few days my device (WD My Cloud WDBCTLXXXXXXX-10) started flashing blue. I’ve tried unplugging several times, but still flashing (fast) blue and I can’t access anything on it. os5.mycloud.com says my device is offline and I can’t connect via http://wdmycloud/.
At this stage, I’d just like to get the data off the drive and onto a newer WD drive, then get rid of the My Cloud device.
Any ideas - is this related to the changing WD support or something?

Do a 40 second reset. Firmware auto updates gone wrong are one cause of this. If you get it up and running again, turn off auto update. If you don’t, search on this forum for unbricking MyCloud.

Thanks @sktn77a! I tried a 40-second reset a couple of days ago, but I might try it again just for the heck of it! I had been reading about unbricking and it sounded like I might lose what’s on the drive, so I was a bit nervous about doing that. I’m not bothered about keeping the drive at this stage, just getting the content off and onto a different drive.

OK, then there are posts on this forum how to do that. You need to do a little linux messin’ though…

I connected my cloud os3 direct on my laptop, with network cable and I tried with a usb cable, but I don’t have access to my files? How do you get access? I am a little lost !!

Well, it certainly won’t work with a USB cable. Just connect the drive to your router/switch with an ethernet cable. It should appear under the “Network” tab in “This PC”.

How to Access a My Cloud When Connected Directly to a Computer
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16312

If the My Cloud isn’t configured for DHCP one may need to do a 4 second or 40 second reset prior to directly connecting the My Cloud to their computer using an Ethernet cable. The My Cloud USB port is for attaching USB hard drives, it is not for directly connecting to a USB port on a computer.

1 Like

Bye Bye WD with your products I got a brand new Synology device and thank God I don’t need your services and support any more !!

For the first time my WD Mycloud was set to "Remote Access " = OFF:
Connection Status Disabled Cloud Access is disabled.

My Synology drive is up and running for remote access, it syncs files and pictures and not only one folder of my pictures on my mobile, it syncs everything ! even the WhatsApp folders !! and local folders that I’ve choose !! this is awesome !!

2 Likes

What a con. I have a 4tb device (which is more than adequate) and am now being forced to buy a new device due to this policy change. Not only do I get just 20% discount, I have to buy an 8tb device for the discount to be eligible.
A 4tb device is £159. 8tb is £259. So I am left with the choice of paying £159 (no discount) to stay as is or £259 - 20% = £209 for a device I don’t need.
A complete con. Surely I should be entitled to a free upgrade to the same spec I already have?

How are you being forced to buy a new device? Your My Cloud will continue to operate just as it does now for local network access. WD is terminating remote access using their systems/servers and the OS3 mobile app for iOS/Android. One can always setup their own methods of remote access (for example VPN) to regain basic remote access to their My Cloud.
https://www.westerndigital.com/mycloudupdates

Q: Will my device stop working if I can’t upgrade to My Cloud OS 5? Will I lose access to my data?
A: Once the services have been shut down, you will still be able to access the device on a local network. However, access through the My Cloud OS 3 mobile app or web app will not be possible. Email notifications also won’t be delivered. Devices that have auto-update enabled will receive a final firmware update to disable remote access and outbound traffic to cloud services. Then, support will end and you’ll have to use the local network to access the device.

Well, that might be a bit of a stretch, but a 50% discount would have been more appropriate.

The Email from My Cloud Support is as follows:
As a reminder, on April 15, 2022 , support for prior generations of My Cloud OS, including My Cloud OS 3, will end. Your current device isn’t [compatible]. As a result, you’ll only be able to access it locally. After April 15, 2022 , your device will no longer receive remote access, security updates, or technical support.
To help protect your content, we recommend that you immediately back up your device, [disable remote access], disconnect it from the internet, and then protect it with a strong, unique password.

As I have no support, no security updates and it should be disconnected from the internet, it is of little use to me. I access it remotely all the time and need to do so securely. It seems to me my best option if just using it locally, is to buy a non-cloud NAS device that I can apply security patches to and receive support for. Very disappointed in their approach

I only need 4tb so a discount on the 4tb offering would be more appropriate. To be forced to buy a more expensive, 8tb device that I don’t want or need is annoying and inappropriate.

One does have the option of setting up their own methods (ex. VPN) of secure remote access to access their My Cloud. But yes, moving to another device or NAS manufacturer is an option. Likely more than a few will, are or have already moved to using NAS units from Synology and QNAP.

I have 2 MyCloud devices…unfortunately the older device (4TB P/N WDBCTL0040HWT -00) fails to mount after power dips. I have tried every piece of advice I could find on the net, without any luck. I can access the dashboard and with PuTTY but nothing helps! I am not sure I believe in WD anymore…not to mention the stopping of support! How must I replace 4TB worth of data and memories?

Why can WD not provide replacement enclosures to at least replace the WORKING HARD DRIVE with a newer OS? ■■■■■■■■ “upgrade for compatible devices” statement!!!

At least with the MyBook Live (and Duo) you could install the latest OpenWrt on it (did it to my 4x MBL’s and the MBL Duo). I had Gentoo on them before that.

This? No dice yet. Still stuck with a 3.2 kernel. Currently compiling Gentoo with a 5.x kernel on a spare board purchased on eBay… but the kernel is FAR from actually working.

“Just killing off the remote access…” so why to buy a cloud solution? Neverthless, in my own business the security of my data, not matter of WD. I have the impressions the reasons of WD are purely technical and commercial: they do not want to spend money to leave OS3 working and at the same they thougth it could be a good opportunity to force (try to force…) users to buy another device offering a stupid ■■■■■■■■ 20% discount. Offensive. I will never buy a WD product in the future and put the device into waste recycling.

Most of the devices that cannot be updated to OS5 are devices have been at end of support for some time now. No one is “forcing” you to upgrade to a new WD device. If you need or want to have remote access to a device that cannot be updated to OS5 then one has some options. You can setup your own method of remote access (VPN, insecure FTP, etc.). Or one can chose to buy a competitors product rather than buy a OS5 supported My Cloud device. Currently the affected devices will continue to operate as they do today for local network access.