Subwoofer not working with AAC

I’m streaming from my PC desktop to my WD TV Live Streaming, and using HDMI through my Pioneer VX-1021.  Subwoofer works for my files that use Dolby Digital and DTS.  However for AAC, my subwoofer does not work…  has anyone experienced this before or is there a fix that someone is aware of?

Are your rear/side channels working with AAC?

Well, is the AAC-stream actually multi-channel or just stereo?

Personally, i would use Mediainfo to investigate the Audio of the file.

5.1 Surround Sound looks like this in Mediainfo (Tree View) 

Channel positions: Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE

(LFE “Low Frequency Effects” aka. Your Subwoofer)

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Yes, all 5 speakers are working fine, only the subwoofer is not working.  I have tested the same video file streaming through my Playstation 3 using ps3 media server and the subwoofer works.  The thing is the subwoofer works on all the other file types and sound codes (DTS, Dolby Digital, AC-3, etc) when using the WD TV Live Streaming.  I just bought the WD TV Live last week and on the latest firmware running Win8.  Not sure if its something that wasn’t addressed in the new firmware or just something I’ve set up incorrectly…

ohig81 wrote:

Yes, all 5 speakers are working fine, only the subwoofer is not working. 

That’s why I ask.   When I play AAC files (AVI, MKV, MP4) – Only the LEFT and RIGHT channels have sound.  I’ve never gotten 5.1 AAC files to play in actual 5.1 sound.

Must be an issue specific to AAC with the WD TV Live. Hope they fix it in the next firmware.