Subtitles?

Hi

I just bought a WD TV LIVE player and I love it:smiley: But…is it just me. or is it impossible to get .idx and .sub files to show in a movie? All my movies are converted to Xvid and they all have .idx & .sub files. Any ideas? Will WD improve the firmware? And when?

Punani

Apparently it’s you cause they work fine for (besides not being officially supported).

It is me, and something else:-(

That is strange. I just tried at watch another movie with idx/sub and it works fine? I cant see why some will and some wont. They all have the same name as the movie but still some wont play subtitles.

Any Ideas?

Don’t use Media server, use Network sharing…  Al

1 Like

I am using Network share, streaming from my NAS. Tried to rename some files still same problem.

Other ideas?

aljimenez,

What is the issue streaming that prevents the subtitles from showing?  I stream all my videos in the standard format that is used to burn a working DVD, I have not been able to ever see subtitles–I keep hearing that there is a subtitle file–that’s not true in a standard DVD format, everything is transcoded together.

Any advise how I can see the subtitles?  Is it necessary to rip the DVD to a special format?  Why is the standard folder and file format not working Video_TS will all VOB, IFO and BUP files not the proper format? Why would this prevent subtitles from showing or from selecting them in the options menu?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Disclaimer: I’m no expert here.

I have no problems with subs but I can only speak to what works for me.  First of all, I use mkv containers only (well, more in a moment).  I mux the idx subs in and thus no separate files.  Live seems to like this just fine.

Now – I have used the ts container to prove this works, and if so you can definitely put a separate idx file in the directory (same name as your video minus extension, natch, and it IS case sensitive) and it will be seen by Live.  Not as “neat” as having it self contained but another option.

For those of you with difficulites (and using an mkv container) I’d play the file with, say VLC and make sure there is indeed an idx stream attached.  Sub/sup won’t work (I’ve proven this) so if you have to convert the stream to idx (easy and fast).  If you are using another container type, try demuxing just the sub stream, convert to idx and put it in the same folder (with the same name) and you should be okay.

I have zero expereince trying to play a DVD folder (can’t see any point in doing that anyway, since Handbrake can rip to a fraction of the size with the same quality) but I suspect the problem there is going to be no idx subs (as I said, my experience is that Live won’t play Sub/sup).

(Should note that all of this is via streaming – so that is a null factor).

jkb242 wrote:

aljimenez,

What is the issue streaming that prevents the subtitles from showing?  I stream all my videos in the standard format that is used to burn a working DVD, I have not been able to ever see subtitles–I keep hearing that there is a subtitle file–that’s not true in a standard DVD format, everything is transcoded together.

Any advise how I can see the subtitles?  Is it necessary to rip the DVD to a special format?  Why is the standard folder and file format not working Video_TS will all VOB, IFO and BUP files not the proper format? Why would this prevent subtitles from showing or from selecting them in the options menu?

Any help would be much appreciated!

If you have the ripped DVD files in the folder VIDEO_TS then you go to this folder name and press play. Do not enter the folder. When the video starts you should be able to select the various audio channels and subtitles using the option button. Of course you must make sure that you selected the appropriate subtitles etc when you ripped the DVD otherwise they will not be there.

Regarding Subtitles and the problem I have been experiencing—an interesting undocumented discovery

Frustratingly, folks state they have no problem doing this or that while others continue to have enormous diffictulty with the same capability.

In several replies to the subtitle issues, one is ripping to MKV and has no problems–that is not the same thing that was reported by me an possibly others. 

When a DVD is ripped to the native format and file structure in which it was authored, (all files appearing in the Video_TS folder)–there are NO subtitle files of any sort–if subtitles are part of the authored stream, they are there or they are  not–there are no special files that one can see that contain the substitles.  Rip that same DVD with MKV,(I don’t use it but I may look into it) you may get something else entirely.  I never describe using either MKV or Handbreak.  As to lossless compression claimed by handbrake–interesting but so far such a technique doesn’t exist–if it compresses- there is always some loss whether disernable or not it’s there.

Secondly, I never described using the WD LIve as a share–but as a media player using streaming–that could also produced widely differening results.

Please do not take this incorrectly–input is quite valued an important from everyone–but when providing same–it is important to consider the configuration the WD live is being used.

To fix my subtitle issue, when streaming a ripped DVD in its native content inside the Video_TS folder, I copied the Video_TS folder to an 8Gb thumb drive and inserted it into the WD LIve–subtitiles were then seen normally–as reported by others.  This tip was provided by aljiminez and many thanks to him for this.

Streaming the same content to the WD Live has NEVER resulted in any subtitiles being displayed and I doubt ever would but this has been my perferred setup. No wonder why still other users report that they are haiving no subtitle issues likely due to differnt confgurations.  How many are aware of this, other than aljiminize is unknown but it goes to show that the differences in use of the WD Live dramatically affect the fact that some features work for some  and ont for others.  

WD support would do well to take note of these widely varying and supported setup configurations which produce correspondingly different issues.       

Credit to you my friend for making that simple suggestion that identified why I was having trouble seeing any subtitles and other users were not.  See my post crediting you with the tip.

Not sure why this is a problem with streaming ONLY, but it is.  I have tried two different streaming programs and still was unable to see subtitles which were authored in the DVD so I was convinced that it was NOT the streaming program but the particular way the WD Live  was being used. 

Thanks for that valuable tip!

jkb242 wrote:

Regarding Subtitles and the problem I have been experiencing—an interesting undocumented discovery

Frustratingly, folks state they have no problem doing this or that while others continue to have enormous diffictulty with the same capability.

In several replies to the subtitle issues, one is ripping to MKV and has no problems–that is not the same thing that was reported by me an possibly others. 

When a DVD is ripped to the native format and file structure in which it was authored, (all files appearing in the Video_TS folder)–there are NO subtitle files of any sort–if subtitles are part of the authored stream, they are there or they are  not–there are no special files that one can see that contain the substitles.  Rip that same DVD with MKV,(I don’t use it but I may look into it) you may get something else entirely.  I never describe using either MKV or Handbreak.  As to lossless compression claimed by handbrake–interesting but so far such a technique doesn’t exist–if it compresses- there is always some loss whether disernable or not it’s there.

Secondly, I never described using the WD LIve as a share–but as a media player using streaming–that could also produced widely differening results.

Please do not take this incorrectly–input is quite valued an important from everyone–but when providing same–it is important to consider the configuration the WD live is being used.

To fix my subtitle issue, when streaming a ripped DVD in its native content inside the Video_TS folder, I copied the Video_TS folder to an 8Gb thumb drive and inserted it into the WD LIve–subtitiles were then seen normally–as reported by others.  This tip was provided by aljiminez and many thanks to him for this.

Streaming the same content to the WD Live has NEVER resulted in any subtitiles being displayed and I doubt ever would but this has been my perferred setup. No wonder why still other users report that they are haiving no subtitle issues likely due to differnt confgurations.  How many are aware of this, other than aljiminize is unknown but it goes to show that the differences in use of the WD Live dramatically affect the fact that some features work for some  and ont for others.  

WD support would do well to take note of these widely varying and supported setup configurations which produce correspondingly different issues.       

A couple of points here. This is not your thread, you just jumped in, so we were not entirely sure what your problem was. There are a number of different ripping programs and some of them you can remove the subtitles and various audio channels. (see DVD shrink). If you rip the complete DVD to the VIDEO_TS folder and then stream it via network shares to the WDTV you will be able to select any subtitles and all audio channels. This is the way I watch ripped DVD’s. One of the problems is that people do not give full details of their problem. You say streaming in your first post on this thread, you never mentioned that you streamed via a media server. You also never mentioned what media server you used. We are all users just trying to help others by passing on our experience or discovered knowledge It is your responsibility to give the full information if you do not want to be given misleading advice.

jkb242 wrote:

Credit to you my friend for making that simple suggestion that identified why I was having trouble seeing any subtitles and other users were not.  See my post crediting you with the tip.

Not sure why this is a problem with streaming ONLY, but it is.  I have tried two different streaming programs and still was unable to see subtitles which were authored in the DVD so I was convinced that it was NOT the streaming program but the particular way the WD Live  was being used. 

Thanks for that valuable tip!

What were the two streaming programs? and why not just use network shares which works perfectly.

richUK wrote:

If you have the ripped DVD files in the folder VIDEO_TS then you go to this folder name and press play. Do not enter the folder.

As mentioned here and elswhere several times, even if you press enter and go down into the folder to start the first file, you will get subtites. It all depends on those VOBs and IFOs being inside the VIDEO_TS folder. This also works via network shares.