Hi guys, here is what I discovered and think is the solution, for WD My Cloud and most DLNA compliant devices.
First at all you need to know that the problem can be in:
The device that storage the files, video and srt.
The DLNA Server Software that lets you stream the movie from the device source to the player.
The player device itself.
Even that DLNA is a standard, seems like some devices (for uknown reasons, at least by me) doesn’t process the .srt files in the same way. In my specific case I have:
These three guys are all DLNA compliant, but like I told you before, seems like they don’t do the .srt processing in the same way. It all depends on the format you use for naming the .srt file and the video file (mkv, avi, mp4). We just need make sure that either source file system (WD, PC, Mobile), DLNA Server Software and the destination player (TV, PS3, LG Box) are compatible with the same naming format. And I’m not refering to “you should type the same name on both video and .srt files”, that is very well known by us. I’m refering to this:
When we “Backup” our “Totally Original and Legal Movies” from the internet :laughing: is often that the format file name for the movie comes like this: Captain.America.2014.720p.mp4 and of course the subs would be Captain.America.2014.720p.srt
If I’m going to play a file like that in my LG SP820, first I have to rename both files in this way: CaptainAmerica2014720p.mp4 , I mean, removing dots (of course not for file extension) or use blanks instead. The problem in that case are the dots in the names, and Voila…
But there’s more…
The solutions above only works for my LG SP820, played from my PC with Nero Media Home DLNA Server.
The Samsung TV Works OK in any format, dots, blanks, whatever, played from my PC using Samsung All-Share DLNA Server software, the same for PS3.
The big problem was my 4tb WD My Coud I just bought. It didn’t work with any device. I started doing the same thing I did to discover the solution above and that is: TESTING. Then I discovered that the format to make sure WD stored movie files can be played in all devices (at least what I have) is next:
For some reason, thats the format that WD My Cloud likes. The first characters in the files (vid and srt) files must be numbers, and no blanks, no dots.
Hope it works for you. For me is the solutions and now I can say that I’m ver happy with my WB Disk.
PD: If someone in WD Company is reading this, and wants to hire me for work in USA with you guys (I’m a software tester), I would be very happy ha ha ha, I’m serious…