Subtitle duration

I have now converted 100+ DVDs to MKV with handbrake, with almost no problems. One single DVD-set (with two movies) gives a minor problem: All subs have a duration of 0, making them flash very shortly during playback.

It is not a ripping problem (the ripped DVD’s play fine). Examing the subs reveals that the end times are ok, but duration is bad (0).

I have tried both extracting the subs with Handbrake → mkvextract  and VSrip, same result.

Is there a utility, that can reset the durations based on the end times? (I know I can set a minimum time, but thats not a good solution) ?

Cocovanna

Edit: Subrip replaced with VSrip, which is the tool I used

Have you posted this problem on the Handbrake forum?

WIth subs extracted by Handbrake there should be no issues at all (I haven’t found any, and I do it all the time).  I’m talking DVDs here, not blu-rays.

It seems to not be a HandBrake issue, as it is present too when extracting the subs directly from the DVD image with VSrip – the only way they play correctly is when playing directly from the image. Supposedly the duration is not used when playing this way (in a player), but “wins” when trying to copy the movie (some kind of minor copy protection I guess …). The start and endtime for the subs are fine.

Cocovanna

Yes, but Handbrake may have a way of solving it.  Worth asking there because even if not there are a lot of folks more expert at conversion than here.

Cocovanna wrote:

Is there a utility, that can reset the durations based on the end times?

You can try SubResync from the Vobsub package but given this unusual error I’m not sure it’s gonna help.

I found another utility yesterday when I had problems with “None but the Brave” (which has an actual error during the subtitles that must be corrected).

http://download.videohelp.com/DVDSubEdit/

This does allow you to mass edit sub titles and ought to do what you want (it does just about anything you could want with subs on a regular DVD).  It’s worth a try.

Tnx, I’ll have a look at it.

Cocovanna