Subtitle contrast

When I play an AVI with an external SRT file, the subtitles are shown correctly. But the text is rendered only in the color white, which means that on a bright image it is unreadable. Subtitles should be rendered with a small black border around the letters, so that they contrast against bright backgrounds.

Is there any way to convince my WD TV Live to do this?

I’ve never had that issue with SRTs…   Only format I’ve seen that issue on is SUB/IDX in a ripped DVD-> MKV.

Yesterday evening. NCIS S02E17 with dutch SRT, but all S02 episodes I’ve watched so far.

It’s not the SRT, it only contains text, no specs on how to render them.

I believe that there is an option in the setup to change the subtitle border. I cannot confirm/test this out since I do not have access to my WDTV atm, but it may help in your case.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I’ve never had that issue with SRTs…

You should check out my screenshot comparison between old and current WD then.

The problem here is not due to a thin/thick subtitle border but due to a transparent border. This makes it quite difficult to read the sub and no, I have no idea why some braniac (at Sigma?) decided to pointlessly mess up a previously working feature.

Yes. That dinner table scene is exaclty it; very readable on dark backgrounds, but totally unreadable on brighter. So. Anywhere one can vote for bugs to be fixed?

I’m not getting the connection.   That dinner table scene is SUB/IDX, which wasn’t what was being asked about.

Well, my WD shows exactly that, but then with an AVI and external SRT.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I’m not getting the connection.   That dinner table scene is SUB/IDX, which wasn’t what was being asked about.

The second picture of the thread is an SRT on the LIVE. You’re not telling me this is readable especially compared to the first image taken from the old WD TV?