Stretch video to widescreen, without black bars at sides

Hi!

I am wondering if there’s some possibility to stretch the 4:3 video  to widescreen, so there are no black bars at the side. I have a lot of cartoons for my children in 4:3 format.

I know about the zoom, but it cuts too much of video at the top and bottom.

I would just like to have a stretch option, without preserving the aspect ratio.

If it’s not possible, it would be a nice feature in future firmware.

If someone has any info on this matter, please share it.

Thanx!

Miso

Hi,

for me it’s about the TV your using. My Toshiba has ‘Super Live’ and many modern TV’s have some similar in the viewing setting, that stretches the picture in such a away that you don’t notice it is happening. Especially if it is kids TV!

you can change this setting on your TV.

if you are normally set to 16:9 (as most LCD/PLASMA tv’s are), switch it to WIDE FIT or something else, some have zoom, some might call it something different, but you will find it on/in your tv settings or on your TV remote.

i watch everything 16:9, but yes, some kids videos (currently watching SHAUN THE SHEEP), which is filmed in 4:3 (DVD COPY) and i have to set my tv to WIDE FIT so i get rid of the bats.  don’t really notice any stretching on animation/claymation.

hope that helps.

The setting tweak in TV is Ok if it is through component or/and it’s an old TV. Current LCD’s while connected through HDMI does not allow user to change the settings due to frame rate/resolution etc., This has to be implemented by the player manufacturer. This has already come in wish list. Hope WDTV live would implement is soon.

my TV (HD PLASMA) is connected to my WDTV LIVE via HDMI and i can change the setting on my TV to FIT WIDE, no problems.

miso19,

you are looking for a function that only the tv should do. the player is responsible only with the output and the tv should be “smart” enough to resize.stretch/etc properly the input. no player has this capability, only tv units

regards

I don’t agree on that.

As I stated before Sony Bravia in HDMI mode does not allow the resizing. It is the part of player’s job. For example, any DVD player is required to set the TV aspect as 4:3 or 16:9. Similarly, WDTV Live also has the option os widescreen / normal screen. You would notice different frame size get adjusted while playing to suit the TV aspect. Unfortunately when playing a TV recording or old DVD with 4:3 aspect the WDTV Live does not respond to stretch it.

My age old DVD player does this effectively.

I agree with the point that the WD should arrange for this since indeed TV’s that follow the HDMI specs to the fullest do not allow the user to change the setting.

(All these problems are caused by agencies like RIAA with their HDCP.)

Madrasee wrote:

I don’t agree on that.

As I stated before Sony Bravia in HDMI mode does not allow the resizing. It is the part of player’s job. For example, any DVD player is required to set the TV aspect as 4:3 or 16:9. Similarly, WDTV Live also has the option os widescreen / normal screen. You would notice different frame size get adjusted while playing to suit the TV aspect. Unfortunately when playing a TV recording or old DVD with 4:3 aspect the WDTV Live does not respond to stretch it.

My age old DVD player does this effectively.

i have a HDTV PLASMA (samsung) and connect it to my WDTV LIVE (directly to the TV, not passed thru a receiver).

when i watch ANY SHOW, i can change my TV, yes TV, to 16:9 or 4:3 or WIDE FIT.

i can watch old shows  filmed in 4:3 and stretch them to fit the screen.  if i hit 16:9, it doesn’t stretch them properly (ie still small bars on side), but if i hit FITWIDE on my TV, yes TV, it will fill the entire screen, no bars, nothing outside the tv picture.

my WDTV is set to 16:9 ALL THE TIME, i never change this setting and when i toggle back/forth on my TV, yes TV, i do not have to change the WDTV settings, all i do is hit PICTURE SIZE on my TV remote.  so if i’m watching an old simpsons in 4:3 and don’t want bars on the side, i select FITWIDE on my TV REMOTE and it stretches it sideways to fill the entire screen.  when i’m done and i want to watch an ISO or MKV or some HDTV on the WDTV, i just select 16:9 on my TV REMOVE and it goes back to the proper setting, nothing cut off, nothing stretched.

perhaps, it’s a SONY issue, but it works PERFECTLY with my SAMSUNG.

Tbh of 5-6 DVD players I’ve owned so far -and for this matter the WDTV it’s just another video source -  none of them had any option to stretch all contents to 16:9, so I think you’are barking up the wrong tree here. If one has that option, well, good for them, but that kind of functionality is always left for TV’s to set (and that’s why they always have a button solely for that function). Btw my Panasonic plasma doesn’t have any problem changing the aspect ratio of an HDMI input, so I guess your Sony Bravia is a bit of an exception there.

On the contrary, video output settings on DVD players are usually very basic when it comes to aspect ratios, suggesting that they’re just there to cater for the folks that still use age old TVs, not compatible with widescreen signals. Also I think it would be a real mess if you saw a stretched image on your screen and you had to guess whether is the TV or the video source that’s stretching it, especially if you have different devices attached.

I would like to give my Samsung HD870’s manual content below.  My DVD Player - Yes my player does this all. Sony Bravia, for component & composite has wide zoom, normal and full options and toggle in remote. BUT, it does not have option for HDMI input - the reasons best known to them. Today all STB’s are giving most of the DVBs in 4:3 format. Still it has option to select your TV aspect ratio, so that it can stretch the picture, which every STB does.

Since only plasma owners are commenting, I would like to know from other LCD brand owners.

BTW, someone else is barking at the wrong tree, since the thread was started by some one who HAS this issue.

SAMSUNG HD870 - Manual Page 28.

For 16:9 aspect ratio discs

• WIDE SCREEN
    Displays the content of the DVD title in 16:9 aspect ratio.
  • SCREEN FIT
    The top and bottom portions of the screen are cut off. When
    playing a 2.35:1 aspect ratio disc, the black bars at the top
    and bottom of the screen will disappear. The picture will
    look vertically stretched. (Depending on a type of disc, the
    black bars may not disappear completely.)
  • ZOOM FIT
    The top, bottom, left and right of the screen are cut off and
    the central portion of the screen is enlarged.
    For 4:3 aspect ratio discs
  • Normal Wide
    Displays the content of the DVD title in 16:9 aspect ratio.
    The picture will look horizontally stretched.
  • SCREEN FIT
    The top and bottom portions of the screen are cut off and
    the full screen appears.
    The picture will look vertically stretched.
  • ZOOM FIT
    The top, bottom, left and right portions of the screen are cut
    off and the central portion of the screen is enlarged.
  • Vertical Fit
    When a 4:3 DVD is viewed on a 16:9 TV, black bars will
    appear at the left and right of the screen in order to prevent
    the picture from looking horizontally stretched.

Thanx guys for all your explanations.

I know about the Wide Fit on my Samsung LCD LE32A558.

It’s on, but it doesn’t stretch it. It’s connected via HDMI.

I started this thread, because the same 4:3 cartoons are stretched when played in DVD player.

The truth is, that DVD is connected with scart. Maybe it is a TV issue, that it can’t streth HDMI picture.

I’ll investigate some more.

Thanx again for the info.

One of the bad things of HDMI is that you cannot overrule it. The sending device/WD TV decides of it looks.

miso19 wrote:

Thanx guys for all your explanations.

I know about the Wide Fit on my Samsung LCD LE32A558.

It’s on, but it doesn’t stretch it. It’s connected via HDMI.

I started this thread, because the same 4:3 cartoons are stretched when played in DVD player.

The truth is, that DVD is connected with scart. Maybe it is a TV issue, that it can’t streth HDMI picture.

I’ll investigate some more.

Thanx again for the info.

weird, because like i said, my samsung PLASMA is connected to my WDTV LIVE via HDMI and i have no problem stretching 4:3 DVD’s (also connected via HDMI) or stretching 4:3 WDTV content.

here’s how mine works if you don’t believe me.

4:3 and 16:9 on HDMI, stretched picture, no problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvDwDoics6k

This can easily be solved by WD by placing the option that already exists in the settings where you choose either “Normal (4:3) or Widescreen (16:9)”, this setting should be made availble from the “Option” Button on the remote while video is playing, instead of having to go through the settings menu to do this. Problem would be solved if they really wanted to solve it.