Streaming videos remotely

Hello folks. First time poster - I got a WD MyBook Live Duo (MBLD) and generally it’s working fine. But I have a couple of questions - I SHOULD be able to stream videos from a laptop outside my homenetwork, right? For example, my sister’s place, using WD2go? After an age, I was able to actually connect. But now I’m connected, I can’t copy over files or stream videos or music.

Am I missing something basic? I can upload stuff to the MBLD but not download, basically. Connection seems to have been made properly (using WD2go). She’s on Windows 8, if that’s relevant, although I wouldn’t have thought so, once a connection has been made.

I tried opening a small Word file, but then it asked me for a username and password, which is weird because it wouldn’t accept my WD2go username or the admin account username/password. Thoughts?

Thanks,

AM

I’m having same problem. I’ve found NO help anywhere. Remote access is a joke plus doesn’t work via Apple Airport express (direct). Can’t stream or access anything remotely via wifi or 4G LTE. I’m taking the thing back!!

I SHOULD be able to stream videos from a laptop outside my homenetwork, right?

No. “Streaming” is not supported via WD 2go on a PC/Mac.   You must copy the file and then play it, or just wait a long time after double-clicking the file before playback will begin.

I can’t copy over files

What happens when you try?

I tried opening a small Word file, but then it asked me for a username and password,

Office documents are also not supported via WD 2go because of the weird double-authentication Microsoft enforces on Office documents.  There are “hacks” that people have devised within the MBL / MBLD configuration files for Apache, but I’m not sure what the overall security ramifications of the hacks are.

Jjwrph wrote:
I’m having same problem. I’ve found NO help anywhere. Remote access is a joke plus doesn’t work via Apple Airport express (direct). Can’t stream or access anything remotely via wifi or 4G LTE. I’m taking the thing back!!

Sorry that you’re having issues.   There’s a number of people here in the forums that are having no issues with either the Airport and via any number of remote connection types.   I’m one of them…  I’ve used WD 2go from all over the planet with no issues at all via WiFi, 3G, LTE, and heck, even EDGE on my old Blackberry!  :laughing:

You might try asking for specific help instead of declaring to another user that the thing doesn’t work at all, when, well, it certainly does…

Tony,

You are correct. I apologize. I’ve been a life-long WD user and have never encountered any problems with their products in the past.

I would really sppreciate your/anyone’s help getting this remote connectivity issues fixed. I have an Aiport Extreme to which the MyBook Live is connected. Just this evening, I went to wd2go.com, logged in, clicked on my drive which took to my “share” page. It did display the correct # of shares I have, but the shares themselves are nowhere on the page to be opened. I don’t want to have to stop using the Aiport Extreme. Would you share your work-around for this problem?

Thanks, jjwrph

Provide some more info – what type of PC (Windows version or Mac?) are you using, and which browsers have you tried, and what version of Java is installed on the computer?

My first guess is that you may have a Java issue.   The “Share” page is actually served by the MBL itself, not WD’s external servers, so if you’re getting that far, it sounds like your connections are fine.

Many thanks for the reply, everyone.

Ouch…I can’t stream remotely? Ou. Too bad. I’m surprised by “wait a long time” - so it works but just extremely slowly? Ok. Fine, next - what happens when I try to copy over files. Um…the window of “transferring files” or whatever they call it on Windows 8 comes up and then…nothing happens. It stays at zero and looks dead. Now, the most I’ve waited is about 15mins but for it to be stuck at 0% for 15mins probably means something is not quite right.

Also, if you don’t mind, are there any general “tricks”/settings for speeding up file transfer while I’m on the home network? At the moment, I’m getting 2mbps, which is a bit too slow for my liking.

Thanks a lot.

Read this thread. It’s a fairly technical discussion of what you’re observing.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/My-Book-Live-WD2Go-WebDav-Issue-FAT/td-p/522027/highlight/true

Ok, I’ll give that a go.