Streaming to Amazon Fire TV Stick sometimes gets choppy

Hello - I have an Amazon Fire TV Stick and use the Archos Video Player app to connect to my WDMyCloud to watch videos on the drive. Sometimes with videos that are larger in size, say over 1GB, the following happens:

• Video playback gets choppy
  • Sometimes only audio plays while the video stays static
  • Lots of pixelation

Other Notes

• When I play these videos on my PC off the drive, I don’t have these problems.
  • When I play these videos from my XBOX connected to the WDMyCloud, they play fine, although it is over an Ethernet connection.
    When I stream HD moves from Netflix, Amazon, Hulu from the Amazon Fire TV Stick, everything plays fine, no issues like this at all.

Is there a way I can increase the buffering from the drive to the Fire TV Stick? It seems like the first 5 minutes or so of the video plays and then it goes wrong.

I am using a Verizon FIOS Router

My WDMyCloud has the latest firmware on it, Firmware Version : 2.30.165

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

How is the network setup? How is the various devices connected to the network and at what network speed?

Where possible use Gigabit networking and equipment.

Hello Bennor, My router is the FIOS Quantum Gateway (AC1750)

• WDMyCloud directly connected to the Verizon FIOS Router, CAT6
  • XBOX directly connected to the Verizon FIOS Router, CAT6
  • Amazon Fire TV Stick connected via WiFi to the Verizon FIOS Router via 5GHz (I’ve disabled 2.4GHz)

My home is 700sq ft. so I have great reception in the home everywhere, even out on the deck. It’s only when I try to play movies from the WDMyCloud that I run into this issue. I have no problem streaming 4K movies from Netflix wirelessly to the Amazon Fire Stick, that’s why it does not seem to make sense that it’s slow inside the house, and with nothing else really taking the bandwidth.

I would switch to 2.4ghz on the firestick.

I use Amazon store’s MrMC app installed on the fire sticks, and an EXCELLENT and strong 5g signal from router and I have NO problems.