Streaming from a NAS Public Share with using a media server?

I currently use an OLD WD MyCloud to stream about 4000 songs using Audioengine.

The songs, albums, are in a Public Share Folder on the NAS with Media turned on.

I use Twonky server as the Media server.

I use the Andioengine app on Android and IOS for the streaming.
Most of the time streaming works fine, Everything is listed by it’s MetaData and plays .flac without issues.
However, occasionally I get the message “Access Denied” when trying to connect to the MYCloud Network drive using Audioengine.

The fix is launch Twonky server on my iMac Browser , delete the cache, and rescan.

My questions, Is Twonky server, or Plex required for streaming music on any NAS.

The music is on the NAS how come you can not just stream directly from it.

It seems like all NAS devices require something like Twonky, PLex, etc, for the media streaming.

Is it possible to stream directly from a NAS without using one of these media servers.

I clearly don’t understand how this all fits together.

I do know that without Twonky I can not get streaming to work on the MyCloud.

Can someone help me understand.

Thanks

Ah yes. . .streaming. . . .it’s all supposed to just work. YEAH RIGHT.
I have completely changed what I do in the last few months. . . so I feel your pain.
Hence the long post that follows (sorry!)

I seem to revise everything every 3 years or so.

Fundamentally, you need:

1. A bunch of files somewhere
  2. A CPU running media software to act as a media server.
  3. A CPU running media software server that acts as a media client (Reads a stream from a media server)
  4. A piece of hardware (Let’s call it streamer/DAC) that connects your “media client” to an Amp that has speakers attached.
  5. The amp that has speakers attached.

From your question, I am not clear what is your Twonky Media server lives. Is it on the PC or on the NAS? (It could be either. If you are accessing on a Safari Web Page using ipaddres:9000 as the address. . .its on the NAS). Also, not clear what the “AudioEngine” is doing. I suspect it is a Streamer/DAC Is it a B1 BlueTooth or B-Fi Multiroom streamer, or perhaps powered speakers with built in bluetooth? In this setup. . .not clear what is acting as the “Media Client”. (Twonky does not provide a Media Client function; and neither do the speakers).

The Media server can live happily on either a PC or on the MyCloud. However, Plex is a bit of a power hog to run on a MyCloud. Twonky SHOULD run fine however. The problem is: If the MyCloud has the Server, where is the Client? The NAS doesn’t have a mouse or monitor. . .so how do you pick music? This is where a PC. . .or a tablet. . .would come into play.

This becomes confusing, because different vendors have different sets of hardware and software in different combinations.

For example, For PLEX; they have a “Plex media server” sits on a CPU and “serves files” to a “Plex Media client” which will run on a different CPU. This is great because the “Plex Server” and “Plex clients” can operate across the internet (even across continents). Most common, Plex Server runs on a PC (OR A NAS like the MyCloud). . . and a Plex Client runs on something like a ChromeCast or Roku Stick; or perhaps something like a Phone or tablet. I used to run a Plex Server BOTH on the NAS and on the PC. Both Servers read files from the NAS. The Plex Client was running on a Roku Stick. From the Plex Client, which was running on a Roku Stick, I would PICK the server I wanted to use.

For example, Twonky is a Media server ONLY. You need media client software (on your Streaming Stick or on your phone) to make it work. (like Roku Media (whatever); or VLC on a tablet). In my system, I ran Twonky as a server, and used VLC on my Tablets as a media client.

Windows Media Player and iTunes are combined Servers and Media clients. (there are other choices). I gave up on Twonky; because I never really found decent media client to work with the Twonky media server.

Note that all of these media servers can read files from the NAS across your network. (Back in the day. . .I ran a Plex server on both a PC and on my NAS. Both servers accessed the same files on my NAS).

Confused yet? Just wait. . . .the crazy part follows. . . I have not mentioned amps and speakers yet. If you are talking about a Phone or tablet. . . .you are in luck, because the Media Client is attached to the Streamer/DAC. . .and you are done. If your Media Client is a Roku or Chromecast. . .well that device is probably plugged into a Home Theater. The HomeTheater/Stick will be the Streamer/DAC and you are done.

So the hard part is if your client is a PC. . .and you want to get content to a speakers. To make a system work, you need all components; Files-Server-Client-Hardware-Speakers

In my current setup. . . I gave up on video (I watch on a PC which can read files direct off the NAS, if I want the “big TV”; I hook a Laptop to the home theater). I use VLC as the Media software (acts as server AND client; reading files from the NAS); and the HDMI output on the PC acts as the Streamer/DAC.

In my current setup For MUSIC. . . .that’s where I spent money. My preferred choice for Media Server today is Windows Media Player (WMP). Media Player is both Server and Client. My HomeTheater has Bluetooth. . .and WMP can “cast” the audio output over the stereo bluetooth. In this case, the PC and HomeTheater becomes the Streamer; with the HomeTheater also being the DAC.

** Audioengine Powered Speakers can function as a combination Bluetooth receiver/DAC/Amp/Speakers for a Media Client that can transmit bluetooth.

In my actual setup; I wanted a premium DAC and didn’t want to use Bluetooth; so I bought an iFi ZEN ifi Zen ; which as a PC USB input. . .and RCA outputs to the home theater. So - - -Files are on The NAS. . . . .Windows Media Play Gets the Music and Outputs to USB. The iFi ZEN has the USB input, and RCA analogue output to the Home Theater.

** Full disclosure: It’s all become a pain. I actually don’t use the NAS for music anymore. I have a 128gb USB thumbdrive with a copy of all the music. . . .

So to sum up: I have

• Files on USB Thumb (I prefer to keep the NAS generally offline)
  • WMP to play music - - - -can output to BlueTooth or to USB or to PC Speakers. (Generally, USB)
  • iFi Zen USB/DAC to create analogue RCA output to Home Theater.

** Note: I can go direct from WMP via blue tooth to HomeTheater; but choose not to. If you have FLAC files; you probably want to bypass the HomeTheater DAC and use the one in the Audio Engine Streamer. (or if you have Powered speakers: heh. . .Might I suggest getting a streamer to upgrade the DAC :slight_smile:)

** In my system, I can readily substitute iTunes for WMP. (AirPlay is functionally bluetooth; and my HomeTheater is AirPlay compatible - - → But again; I like my ifi DAC :))

Its really quite simple. How is the Audioengine app connecting to the My Cloud to access the music files? Does it use SMB/AFP? Or does it use DLNA or iTunes connection? If the app uses SMB/AFP then one should be able to turn off Twonky and iTunes in the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings > General page. If the app uses DLNA or iTunes then you will have to have Twonky or iTunes enabled in the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings > General page.

To hear the music from files stored on the My Cloud you need something to access the files on the My Cloud then play that file through speakers or headphones. The My Cloud is just an NAS that has media server built into it. Generally a media server on an NAS requires a media CLIENT (a computer, mobile device, or other electronic device) to access the media files and play the file through speakers or headphones.

As a basic troubleshooting step use another media streaming app and see if the issue persists. If it doesn’t then its a conflict between the Audioengine app and the My Cloud. At which point your best bet is to consult the app’s maker to see if they have any suggestions.

When using Twonky its a good idea to review the big Twonky FAQ that was put together by a user here:

[FAQ] Twonky DLNA Media Server Setup & Use