Streaming Blu Ray from one WDTV live hub to another... hardwired

Hey guys, need some clarification

I have two WDTV live hubs, both hard wired, to a D-Link GIgaswitch, the computer has a Gigatech network adaptor, both hubs are connected by CAT5 cable

My media is on a USB hard drive connected to the basement WDTV Live hub

I can stream all dvd (mkv) to the upstairs one fine, but some Blu Rays will play for about 3 minutes then start stuttering and then just stop

I have a gig network adaptor and a gigaswitch router, is there a reason this wouldn’t work, does the speed of my actual modem affect this. The speed of the internet shouldn’t matter should it?

Thanks

The transfer speed of your home network will affect the streaming of your movies.  TonyPh12345 is one of our resident guru in media streaming, try to contact him, he might be able to help you.

It’s most likely that the Hub doesn’t have the horsepower to stream high-bitrate sources to other devices.

You might try using the MEDIA SERVER (Twonky) function instead of a Network Share, which might let you stream the m2ts file that contains the main feature.

Media Servers use lower overhead, usually, so can stream higher bitrate sources more reliably.

I tried the media server option like you suggested but will only show the “Local” content, not the items on the 2 external HDD plugged in on the downstairs WDTV Live Hub, is there a way to get these files to transfer through the media server.

Thanks

You will need to use the Twonky configuration page (web page) to add the USB disks to the index.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

You will need to use the Twonky configuration page (web page) to add the USB disks to the index.

How do you access that page?

Click the wrench icon, then under “Basic Settings” select “Sharing”.

Then on that page click “Browse” and select USB*.  Then click on “Save Changes”.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but I have not worked with the media server portion at all only the network share. Is Twonky a program I need to install or does it come as soon as you connect the live hubs, and how do I access this “page” with the wrench icon.

I have always just used usb direct access and network share, so I am a real novice when it comes to the media server part.

Thanks

No software needed. 

Just type in your HUB’s ip address in your browsers address bar.

Then you be presented with the WDTV Live Hubs Web UI.

Type in “admin” for the password (this is the default password) and check “I accept”, then Login.

Wow! How come there’s no WD documentation of this? I’ve never even heard of this configuration page until now.

So, I can see the USB storage connected to the Hub. Shouldn’t I also be able to see any DLNA devices or Media Servers on my network?

Do I need to install Twonky on my PCs with digital content?

Miami_Son wrote:

Wow! How come there’s no WD documentation of this?

You mean pages 73 thru 77 of the user manual?  :smileyvery-happy:

I don’t know if its just me but the WDTV Live hub Web UI is awful, everything is overlapped and I can click the main “settings” item but then it goes all goofy looking and I can’t find sharing or browse.

I tried it on both google chrome and IE

Is there a special way to get it to look normal

Thanks

I assume you mean the TWONKY Web UI, because the WD Web UI doesn’t have a “Settings” or “Browse” menu, but Twonky has both…

Interesting.   I just checked with both Fedora and Windows Chrome, as well as IE 8, and it’s working fine for me…

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Miami_Son wrote:

Wow! How come there’s no WD documentation of this?

You mean pages 73 thru 77 of the user manual?  :smileyvery-happy:

You got a user manual with your Hub?:cry:

So tell me why in the Twonky interface I can’t see anything but local disks and not any shared folders or Media Server folders?

All WD manuals are online.  I think, though, that the included CD might have had it on there, too.

So tell me why in the Twonky interface I can’t see anything but

local disks and not any shared folders or Media Server folders?

Because that’s the way it is supposed to be.

Why would you want to stream from ONE media server to ANOTHER media server and then TO a media receiver?

Why not just stream it direct from THAT media server?

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Because that’s the way it is supposed to be.

Why would you want to stream from ONE media server to ANOTHER media server and then TO a media receiver?

Why not just stream it direct from THAT media server?

Because when I select Media Server from within the Hub, it only sees the standard 4 library folders on my PC and not any additional folders added with the “Add to Library” function.

the media server works! the blu rays are streaming perfectly, thanks for the help everyone