Streaming 4k from my cloud to 4k tv

I have a panasonic 4k camera, video that is taken by the camera can be played back directly on the sd card from the camera when inserted into the 4k tv no problem. However when this video is imported and stored on my cloud and my cloud is connected to my router via ethernet cable and my tv is hard wired via ethernet cable when playing back the video from mycloud the sound and picture stutters.

What is the speed of your wired network? Gigabit or 100mb (or slower)?

Google hits for 4K panasonic:
“Bit Rate Quality (4K-150Mbps / 2K-200Mbps)”

“Both 4K resolution video formats are recorded with a bitrate of 100Mbps in IPB compression”

Your bitrate on that file has likely exceeded the 10/100 ethernet connection on your TV. You can confirm this by looking up the bitrate on the file and then confirming ethernet speeds in your TV’s manual. SD card reader on TV is not limited which is why that works.

First method works, because you are using a direct connection of SD card to TV. Second method does not work because you are sending data through your router and Ethernet cables.

My guess is maybe you do not have a gigabit router, or fast enough cables (5e or better grade; likely grade 6) and the entire data path from NAS to TV must be gigabit the whole way; example if you are using a network switch, it too, must be gigabit. Data travels as fast as your slowest “pipe”, so to travel fast, entire path must be fast,This includes TV with gigabit input spec.

If all conditions are met and you still get stuttering as the end result, we need to put our thinking caps on tighter. I don’t have 4K capability, but all my conditions are met, and HD blue-ray rips work fine, and that is my most demanding video, although WDTV and input is standard speed, not gigabit.

Looks like a few of us were writing about this at same time and came to basic similar conclusions. I am thinking if the TV Ethernet connections is not gigabit, it is nothing you can improve on, and you may be stuck with the SD card method , or if you can connect a HD to the TV with more files on it, that may work better than SD card if you have many files… Although I would hope a 4K TV has a fast input on it from network source.

interestingly enough I can stream 4 k video through my router to my panasonic TV from panasonics 4k channel on the internet without any stuttering of video or sound. Could it be my WD mycloud or connection from mycloud to the router.

It could be, and you have enough clues from folks to start checking this out at your end. Good luck in your search for the answer.

I guess you mean panasonic’s 4K youtube channel.

“2160p (4k)35-45 Mbps”

Well under 100Mbps so it should work. What is the bitrate on the 4K files from your camera? Look in the camera settings, your manual, or use a player on your PC to find it.

You are correct the bitrate on the 4K files from the camera are 100Mbps. I thank all the contributors to my problem I am learning something new all the time. I will check out Ethernet cable and TV spec for gigabit input.

You will also have to check the router/gateway (or switch/hub) the My Cloud and TV are connected to. Those would have to be upgraded to Gigabit.

AFAIK, there isn’t any TV with gigabit. I think the latest 4K streaming boxes like Amazon FireTV and roku 4 peak at 50Mbps.

1. Connect a USB hard drive to the USB port on your TV and play from there.
    or
  2. Connect a regular PC that can do 4K video playback via HDMI to your TV. Put a large hard drive in that.

I would say #1 is the easiest and cheapest.

Further investigation identifies that my Panasonic 4K TV will only play true 4K either via SD card, which can contain movies taken by a 4K camera or through HDMI4 port, this can be by connecting to HDMI4 with a 4K camera or connecting to HDMI4 with a Minix x8-h or equivelant smart tv box that can deal with 4k from this an external hard drive containing true 4k files can be connected. True 4K apparently cannot be played through the ethernet connection or usb connection on my 4k panasonic tv.

There’s no such thing as “true 4K,” just 4K. You just have above average bitrates that very few consumers need. Nothing more. Nothing less. In 2-3 years, those bitrates will be much more common.

Your options are now deal with SD cards OR get a cheap PC that can do 4K.

Or one of the even cheaper generic Android media boxes that support 4K

If this TV can accept an attached hard drive, that would be better than using SD cards, because ALL your 4K videos would be in one convenient place, I believe. (The HD would also be a backup of the 4K videos on the SD cards.)

AFAIK, there are zero android devices that can handle 100+Mbps bitrates. Most peak at 40-50Mbps. I of course could be wrong.

“True 4K apparently cannot be played through the ethernet connection or usb connection on my 4k panasonic tv.”

Said USB won’t work.

Looks like SD card is only option, then.

Looks as though purchasing a 4k tv and 4k camera is pretty restrictive when it comes to play back. As it stands at the moment it looks like all 4k media taken on my camera has to be stored and replayed using sd cards. This works out quite expensive for storing and replaying 4k its a pity the 4K TV manufacturers dont tell you this during marketing, it looks like a case of the cart before the horse. There is definately a neche in the market for storing 4K video and replaying it through your 4K TV.

The issue isn’t 4K at all but the bitrates you are attempting to use. To put 100Mbps into perspective, Netflix 4K is 15.6Mbps.

A $300-$400 PC using the latest 5-6th generation Intel chips will play that video back. You can put a 4TB drive inside that machine and use HDMI to play it back on your TV. 4K Bluray players will be able to handle up to 128Mbps but AFAIK those are $400 USD.