Strange throttling observed on MyCloud EX2 ULTRA

Hello,

I’m encountering an issue with transferring a large file from my remote EX2 Ultra (24TB) through os2.mycloud.com to my PC. Initially, the transfer speed was a stable 23MB/s, but it dramatically dropped to 100KB/s after a few minutes. At this reduced rate, the transfer would take around 1800 hours, which is clearly unacceptable.

Initially, I suspected that overheating might be the cause, so I improved the NAS’s ventilation, but the issue persisted. Repeated attempts to download the file suggest that there might be a ‘quota’ of sorts, capping the speed at 100KB/s, which accumulates over time. If it were due to thermal throttling, I’d expect the reduction to occur much later, especially after letting the disks idle for 2 hours.

I’m beginning to think that WD might be throttling transfers for users accessing the NAS outside of a local network. While I can understand some rationale behind it, this approach seems counterintuitive for a product marketed for cloud access.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, and is there a known workaround?

Could there be interference from the ISP? (not likely)

I know OS/5 used to have a 5GB file upload limit on their servers.
I do not know if they ever imposed a download limit.

Thank you for your feedback. There could indeed be a limitation imposed by my ISP, but I’ve never observed such behavior before, making it an unlikely culprit.

Given the previous OS had limitations, it leads me to suspect that WD might be imposing some sort of limitation, which is almost impossible to prove. The only option available to me is to physically relocate the drive to a local network, which is far from ideal since its primary purpose was to serve as a remote backup solution.

It seems like one more case of a device being fully capable of performing a specific task, yet being restricted from doing so due to stupid commercial limitations. :smiley:

Moreover, I own two of these units set up in RAID0, and one of the 4 “EXTREMELY HEAVY DUTY DRIVES FOR HUGE TASKS FROM WD, THE ONE AND ONLY” has failed (14 months old). Consequently, the data is lost, and now I’m faced with the need to purchase new drives. This experience, along with the durability concerns raised in this forum, will definitely influence my decision on whether to continue using WD products.