Strange issue with 4 TB HD

I have been using WD TV Live Streaming (current firmware 1.12.14) for a while with two HD attached.

The WD My Book Essential 2TB USB3 and HGST (own by WD) 4TB  Touro Desk Pro USB3 HD.

This worked fine until I decided to disconnect 4 TB HD in order to store more files directly from my Win 8 PC.

Which I did without any issues, but now the WD TV Live will no longer recognize this drive at all.

I try to reset the WD TV Live, I even downgraded the firmware to 1.10.13 (now is again 1.12.14) but the same problem exists.

Even when the only connected HD is the 4 TB it is no longer recognized by WD TV Live.

Any idea what is the problem and how to resolve it?

Instead of this 4 TB I now connected 2x2TB WD HDs – so now I have 3 of these connected and this works fine.

I noticed that on WD official list of the supported HDs are only HDs up to 2 TB.

Are HDs over 2 TB supported?

In my case 4TB unit worked fine under 1.12.14 until now.

The 4 TB Hitachi works fine when attached to any PC – tested fine as well.

UPDATE

While trying to resolve this issue, I also experienced similar issue later on with one of the WD 2TB HDs.

It looks to me that problem is due a lack of the Safely Remove  routine that disappeared from the firmware some time ago.

Right now God only knows how to safely remove the HD and this is a serious problem.

Hi, if you are not safely ejecting the hard drives from the WD TV it will cause problems. To eject the hard drive just press the eject button from the WDTV control.

According to the information about the media player it only supports up to 3 TB but now that you mentioned that it was working with the a 4TB I’ll do some testing with my new 4TB drive.

Have you tried resetting the media player?

As a personal recommendation always make sure to safely remove the unit from the media player…

Yes, indeed there is the eject button on the remote control.

Thanks for your help.

Any idea how to get this 4 TB HD to be recognized again?

With 2 TB HD it was enough to get it connected directly to the PC’s USB port.

Initially it was a message that it might be something wrong with the drive and  it was recommended to run the drive check.

This test concluded that there was no errors found on the drive and it was recognized by the WD TV Live again.

This however doesn’t work in case of the 4 TB HD.

Yes, I tried to reset media player as well as I downgraded the firmware and than upgraded again to the current version.

My WD TV was working fine with the Hitachi Touro Pro 4 TB HD for about half a year or so.