Still Trying to MCH like I want it

I am still trying to figure out how I will use my newly installed MyCloud Home. I know…I got the message… It’s not the same as MyCloud. I have two of those on my network, they are the original edition, therefore, local access only.

Now, I’m reading the MCH user manual and it talks about a ‘desktop app’. I spent a bit of time today trying to find this. It’s can’t get it. Has it been cancelled my WD and the user manual is never updated?

My other issue is local access since the desktop app is not available. I have gone through the local access setup twice. However, I still cannot get the access to work. I keep getting the message saying the Location currently not available.

Nobody knows why you have 2 MC and 2 MCH. It is a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

The manual is seldom updated, that is what the Knowledge Base is for.

Perhaps check out one of the WD short videos. It is not possible to set up local access if your router is not able to start UPnP properly and the MCH still thinks it is not connected locally to the router.

https://community.wd.com/t/western-digital-my-cloud-home-support-videos/279114/2

Okay NoPlex. You implied some mystery of why I have all these devices. Well there is a story, but it still a mystery even to me. I will bore you with the details:

Many years ago, when MyCloud was new, a man put a WDMycloud for sale on Craigslist for $100. His job was to break in and repossess houses in bankruptcy and he got to keep all he found. The Mycloud was some of his booty. I liked it. I liked being able to get my stuff from the internet when I was away. Later I saw an identical one at a thrift shop for $4.00. I got it and put it online. Then WD canceled OS4 models, so now I have these just for local stuff (play videos, music, backup, whatever) Next, another thrift shop, more recently, I found the MyCloudHome, for $20. I thought this would be my ticket to return to internet online access to my stuff. No, I did not do any research into the product. I trusted the WD company to make something that I would like for years to come…and on the cheap too!. Well that’s why I am where I am now. I’m currently trying to figure what all I can do with these things now.

I was being facetious, but that was a nice story.

The conclusion I got from the story is that you probably don’t need all these storage so any use you do make is just a bonus considering how little you paid for them.

Cheers.