SSH broken after firmware update

Hi All, I had my MyBook Live set up so that I can ssh into it locally and remotely (as I use it to tunnel to my other services inside the network.) But everytime I updated the firmware, my ssh settings would get so broken that I wouldn’t be able to login using the public keys that I placed there previously, I wouldn’t be able to use the password I had set it to before, and the default password doesn’t work at all. I would have to resort to the debricking process outlined in another post to gain access without losing my data. Has anyone else been having this problem? Is there something I can do to get my ssh to work again properly without having to go through the whole debricking thing everytime there’s an update? Thanks!

Hello aceiii, SSH access is not supported, but I’m sure there are some users here that can share some useful advice.

I had this problem - I navigated to the file /Users//.ssh/known hosts

Delete the line corresponding to the box you need to access… try logging in again…

astrodog, I’ve tried that but it still doesn’t work. I set up public keys for the user on the mybook live so that I do passwordless access but I keep getting back a message that the ‘Server refused our key’ and trying any password fails also.

Go back to basics first, before you do keys exchange and other stuff. In a few words, first try plain and simple SSH access.

There are two parts to this, I think…

• Every firmware upgrade, will reset the SSH. Just enable it again, nothing to it.

• A new cert might be created. If this is the case, you will need to delete the previous entry in the ~/.ssh/known_hosts file. However, you should see a very specific error message

I tried doing this, Shabuboy, but I still cannot access ssh. The problem is that I am no longer able to ssh in altogether although the ssh service seems to still be running. The password on the root account seems to have been changed during the upgrade, and any configuration such as my public keys being set in the authorized_hosts file have been removed so I cannot log in using my public key nor am I able to with the password I set on the account. Also thinking the password was reset to the default ‘welc0me’, I tried that it that didn’t work also. Rebooting the device, turning ssh on and off through the web interface doesn’t help also.

Ichigo wrote:

Hello aceiii, SSH access is not supported, but I’m sure there are some users here that can share some useful advice.

What exactly do you mean by “SSH access is not supported”? 

Are you saying that it is not encouraged? Or that SSH capabilities have been removed in the lasted patch?

by basic I meant exactly that… forget about keys exchange, etc, etc. As those might be old, since the upgrade.

• Make sure ssh is enable

• make sure you can login via admin to dashboard

• test ssh using the default username/password for SSH. Make sure you do not use any keys and let the devices exhange keys by themselves.