Split a USB HD to both a router AND my WD TV LIVE? Even possible?

I’ll ask, then explain my reasonsing/situation below :slight_smile:

Am I able to split the connection FROM a USB HD, to go both to a wireless router(for wifi access from multiple laptops/mobile phones) AND a direct connect to my WD TV Live player? 

I have purchased a WD TV Live player and am anxiously awaiting it’s arrival :slight_smile:  In the interim, I want to make sure I know what the heck I’m doing so it’ll be smooth sailing once I have it in hand!

I CURRENTLY have had a Seagate 500 GB USB HD with a direct wired connection to my previous model WD HD Media player. This has worked BEAUTIFULLY for the last 2 years.

I’ve just(2 days ago) hooked up the USB HD to my Cisco e4200 router, so I can tinker around and figure out how to connect to it(wifi hard drive)  via laptop, mobile phone, and pc.  I’m assuming since I haven’t had an issue, the new WD TV LIVE will hook up just fine.

HOWEVER, when trying to stream a full length HD movie to a laptop, I get a TON of stuttering, freezing, and audio clips. Every once in awhile, it’ll work flawlessly, but when it doesn’t, I can’t find the reason/cause.

I’m sure there a million different settings I can find and screw with on the router, but I’m not IT savvy, by any means :wink: If the above described scenario is feasible, I’d rather direct connect the ■■■■■■, while retaining the hook up to the wireless router.

Can this be done? Thanks in advance!!

OR, at the very least, use a usb switcher?(I’ve never used and no nothing about 'em)

No such thing as a USB “Splitter,” but there ARE USB Switches that will do that…

But as to how well they’ll work with a WD, I have no idea…

TonyPh12345 wrote:

No such thing as a USB “Splitter,” but there ARE USB Switches that will do that…

But as to how well they’ll work with a WD, I have no idea…> * * *

May give this a try and see.