Speeds on MyBook Live

I bought this product thinking it would be faster then a USB 2.0 (and I’m out) it’s not. is there any fixes for this or do I need to get another card that supports higher upspeeds?

this is winodws 7 64 bit and the card is built in intel Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

any ideas? It’s currently set to 100 meg full duplex. Still nothing.

Was told on average I’d get 60-80/second.

-Rob

Set speed and duplex to Auto Negotiation then reboot your PC and try again. I have a Realtek NIC in one of my PCs and that setting works great and I get about 45MB/s TO the MBL and 70-100MB/s FROM the MBL. The newer samba stack on firmwares newer than 02.11.09-053 don’t play as nice with Realtek NICS (slower speeds) but they love my Atheros NICs

robL42 wrote:

I bought this product thinking it would be faster then a USB 2.0 (and I’m out) it’s not. is there any fixes for this or do I need to get another card that supports higher upspeeds?

this is winodws 7 64 bit and the card is built in intel Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

any ideas? It’s currently set to 100 meg full duplex. Still nothing.

Was told on average I’d get 60-80/second.

-Rob

It can’t possibly be faster than USB 2.0 if you’re only using a 100 meg network!  :smileyvery-happy:

And *NEVER* set speeds manually to anything+Full Duplex unless you’re also able to manually set the switch port it’s plugged into.

So, how do I bump this thing up to 1,000 or do I need a new card? How much are they and what type of card should I get?

and what should it be set to for fastest speeds?

-Rob

You already have a GBE card.   It’s what it’s plugged into that needs to be upgraded.

OK, what needs t o be upgraded? I tried pluging it in directly to the PC it wouldn’t work,

I’m fairly new to this and could use the help 45 megs would be more acceptable then 20 megs. I thought this was plug itno my router and play.  Networking isn’t my strongpoint.

Thanks, 

-Rob

What is your router capability for network speeds? 

your router needs to be a gigabit capable router to handle the speeds of gigabit.

What kind of cabling are you using for the My Book Live?

Cat 5 (100Mbs) /Cat5e  (1000Mbs) /Cat6 (10 Gbps)?

it is pretty much plug and pray, minor configuration needs to be done, but to talk about network transfer speeds you are going to have to get into the networking portion and dig deeper with the specs.

1 Like

The router is a Cisco E1000 but I’m due to upgrade, the one suggested to me was a Buffalo - AirStation WZR-D1800H

It will be here in a few days. Cabling is just standard networking cable.

-Rob

I just googled your router, its Fast Ethernet (10/100 Mbps). 

All cabling is ‘standard’ but your limited to the Category rating of the cable being used. If you want higher than 100Mbps your router (your new one mentioned would be) needs to be able to support it and so does your cabling. I believe the cable that comes with the MyBookLive is CAT5E (which is want you want).

Just a note, I wouldnt fall in love with the windows speed transmissions that its telling you, as I have found that its not 100% truthful and varies. When transferring a file, depending on the size, see how long it actually takes to transfer. < than a minute, > greater than a minute etc.

1 Like

Anything faster then 20 megs would be enough.

Thanks, Rob

1 Like

These are my results, which are adequate is you ask me:

Speeds on a 10/100 network:
Wire:
Data: 39.39GB
Time: 1:50:05
Speed: 6404590 Bytes/sec.
Speed: 366.473 MegaBytes/min.

Wireless
Data: 4.66GB
Time: 0:44:11
Speed: 1890589 Bytes/Sec
Speed: 108.80 MegaBytes/Min

Just buy a Gigabit Ethernet switch, connect to it your MBL and other capable devices. 

I now have a Buffalo router and am connected at 1.0 Gbps my speeds are now at 35.0 (roughly) much better but wish it was faster!

I never knew a router can make a difference.

It’s Model WZR-D1800H Ver.1.91 (R1.32/B6.30.15-1.04-1.00)

-Rob

Just to make sure you’re understanding…

Technically, the “router” doesn’t make a difference.   It’s the internal “switch” that makes the major difference.

When you’re talking between devices on your local network, the “router” function isn’t even used;  just the switch.

This is a good article…

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57485724-285/home-networking-explained-heres-the-url-for-you/

It’s good, am not paying hundreds more for a swtich. Just planning on using this as a backup. Despite it’s cool you can listen to most of your files on the web. For some reason, it won’t play HD streams or HD audio files on my phone. (Android 4)

-Rob

That is because all brand new My Book Live’s come with Twonky version 5 installed. The support for HD streams begin with 6.3x version. And you need to buy the license separately for  $19.95.

Hey man, I have yet to the license upgrade, is it straightforward just purchase the license and install on my book??

Sheldodo wrote:

That is because all brand new My Book Live’s come with Twonky version 5 installed. The support for HD streams begin with 6.3x version. And you need to buy the license separately for  $19.95.

Horsey-poo.   Twonky 5.1.9 supports HD streams perfectly fine.

either way I have an original My Book Live with whatever it shipped with, 4.x. I wish there was an easy upgrade option.