Speed Issues

Just got my new mycloud. I want to transfer folders from my old external to mycloud - 200gb worth. Even as I copied folders one by one, the speed was really slow.

What are the optimal methods of doing this? If I connect ethernet cable directly to my macbook to the mycloud will it increase speed rather than via wifi? Do I go USB 3.0? Or is it simply checking the firewall on my home network? 

goncalves229 wrote:

If I connect ethernet cable directly to my macbook to the mycloud will it increase speed rather than via wifi?

Yeah, but the “right” and easiest way to do it is to connect your MacBook via wire to the same place the Cloud is connected.

I’m wondering if I’m having similar issues. I transferred the data on my MyBook Live , simply by dragging and dropping files via Windows Explorer on the laptop, which is connected to my modem router via an ethernet cable. It transferred at about 6mb/s. I was hoping it would be quicker than that, because when I used to transfer files from my laptop to the MBL via an ethnet cable, it used to transfer at around 11mb/s when the files were stored on the laptop HDD.

I’m now transferring files from a WD external HDD which is USB 3.0 and plugged directly into the MyCloud. The files are transferring at about 6mb/s as well. Is that about right?

Brooktop wrote:
The files are transferring at about 6mb/s as well. Is that about right?

Heck no.  FIrst, the way you wrote that, 6mb/s implies six megabits per second.   That’s horrible.

On average, I get around 40-50MB/s (megaBYTES per second), or almost 70 times faster than what you’re getting.

If you actually meant 6MB/s, that’s about right if there’s lots of smallish files and your router is only 100mb/s ports.

Even if the USB disk is plugged directly to the Cloud, the data still has to traverse the network (twice) to get to your computer and then back to the share on the Cloud.

1 Like

Thanks. I am copying folders so yes there are lots of files being transferred. I didn’t realise MB/s was different mb/s. I’m not sure what my router is in terms of tech specs. It’s the standard (but latest) one from Sky.

What color are the rear-panel bottom LED where the network cable is connected?  It should be solid green.

It’s flashing green - which I assume means activity (My WDTV Live is scanning for video content metadata at the moment).

Wrong LED. The flashing LED is network activity.

Yellow ie up to 100 Mbps

Then the speeds you’re getting are on par… 

1 Like

I was able to copy about 2 GBytes in 15-16 minutes from a Dropbox folder to my folder on the My Cloud. However, I’m also trying to copy my photos to a joint share and it stalls out at about 125 MBytes in a few minutes and then says greater than 10 days or so without moving any more bytes. The file I want to copy is my iPhoto Library and is about 180 GBytes.

My Mac Pro is connected to a switch and the Internet and the My Cloud is connected to the same switch. Any suggestion for how I might get a more consistent and hopefully faster transfer?

If you have a gigabit switch, then that would be the best optimal way of transferring files.  When you transfer that much data, its best to not do any other activities to the drive and let it finish.

Thanks for the comment. I think the switch is 100 M. I’m not really worried about the overall speed although faster is better. It is the stalling that is the main issue. It gets to about 125 MBytes and stops/slow to almost nothing. Maybe 0.1 MBytes over 10 minutes. I get this even when not doing anything else. I’m thinking there may be an issue with the file (which is actually a folder). Or collisions at the switch??

How are you copying files to the My Cloud? (i.e. using a software like Wd My Cloud, by file browser like Finder/Windows Explorer, etc…)  I just did a test run 15 gigs on my Mac Mini via dragging files from my desktop to the my cloud folder in finder. Took about 10 mins on a gigabit connection.

Dragging from the finder to the my cloud finder window. I couldn’t find a way to use the application. The photo file is 185 GBytes but it stalls at about 120-150 MBytes. My iTunes folder is about the same size.

Using Gigabit connection, the max I get is 30Mb/s which is less than I was expecting.

You guys think this is the best I can get with this drive ?  If so, I’ll consider changing it for something else.

I’m confused as to the whole megabytes vs megabits, so I’ll use an example. Anybody who can clarify if this is good or not please chime in. I love the idea of the My Cloud drive for keeping my family members data connected wirelessly but I can’t help but think it’s transferring far too slow. 

I just drag and dropped a 300MB video into the cloud folder and it took  1 minute and 54 seconds at a speed listed as “3 MB/second”

I tried using the Cloud software from WD and it was about on par time wise for the same file. If I connect a hard drive with the same file to the Cloud drive via USB the same file transfers in 15 seconds. 

Do I need to change settings or something? I’m not sure it’s my network because when downloading games/patches etc from websites I average a few MB’s per second pretty easily. 

maxaudet, it should average around ~50MB/s.  Make sure there are no other bandwidth activities going from the system to the My Cloud and try transferring a large file (1GB +).  

Foxeroo, are you on wired or wireless? if wireless, what connection speed? 

dbourne, are you dropping the folder in the My Cloud\Public folder or folder that you have full permission on?  Can you try different folders to transfer to the My Cloud?

Foxeroo wrote:

I’m confused as to the whole megabytes vs megabits, so I’ll use an example. Anybody who can clarify if this is good or not please chime in. I love the idea of the My Cloud drive for keeping my family members data connected wirelessly but I can’t help but think it’s transferring far too slow. 

I just drag and dropped a 300MB video into the cloud folder and it took  1 minute and 54 seconds at a speed listed as “3 MB/second”

I tried using the Cloud software from WD and it was about on par time wise for the same file. If I connect a hard drive with the same file to the Cloud drive via USB the same file transfers in 15 seconds. 

Do I need to change settings or something? I’m not sure it’s my network because when downloading games/patches etc from websites I average a few MB’s per second pretty easily. 

1 MB (Megabyte) = 1 Mb (Megabit)/8

For example, USB 2.0 is 480 Mb/s = 60 MB/s (480/8 = 60).

Bits are used instead of Bytes as marketing tactic to show higher numbers on a quick view because the average Joe wouldn’t know that uppercase and lowercase letters DO make a difference in the computer world.

1 Like