Spam from WD

I’ve had spam (Subject: Instantly add 2 TB of storage to your Ultrabook!) from WD.

I signed up here for support, not for WD to spam me.

I’m reminded there’s a problem with the Live Streaming player, which has been outstanding since December last year. Maybe WD should divert resources from their over-keen marketing department to their support department.

Hi ghewson, please note that when you create your support portal account you have the option to disable emails from WD. To view this option, log in to your support portal and then click on “ACCOUNT INFORMATION” in the upper left side of the screen. 

WD SUPPORT PORTAL

https://westerndigital.secure.force.com/ind/?lang=en

Why should we have to opt-out of the spam in the first place?  We only provided an email to register and use our products, not to opt-in to the WD spam campaign.  Spamming us by default is just wrong, and bombarding us with spam when we didn’t voluntarily opt-in in the first place looks poorly upon the companies that do it, like WD.  I hope legislators create a law some day that prohibits this practice altogether.  

Jumpman wrote:

Why should we have to opt-out of the spam in the first place?  We only provided an email to register and use our products, not to opt-in to the WD spam campaign.  Spamming us by default is just wrong, and bombarding us with spam when we didn’t voluntarily opt-in in the first place looks poorly upon the companies that do it, like WD.  I hope legislators create a law some day that prohibits this practice altogether.  

That’s not true.  To register to the customer portal, you are required to put your country, the type of user you are, your full name, your phone number, your email, your password, and the Captcha.  The options for receiving emails from us are staring you in the face when you are entering the Captcha word.  How you missed it, I don’t know.

Concerning spamming, we only send emails to those who are opted-in to receive emails from us. That’s not spamming. It’s notifying OUR customers of any news and updates.  Spamming is sending emails to addresses that have no connection with you whatsoever.  If you didn’t uncheck the boxes for receiving emails, then we have every right to think that you want to hear from us.  Furthermore, we give you three options for the types of emails you can receive from us. If you don’t want to hear from marketing, then uncheck that box.

Concerning changing laws, what you say may be the case someday. However, right now, we are only required to provide the option to receive emails or not receive emails. If you didn’t uncheck the boxes when you registered, you can always opt-out of receiving emails from us from any email you do receive from us. It’s just a matter of exercising your right.