Sound disappears for a very short while

Hi,

I am having a problem sometimes (too often :wink: while playing a video on my WD TV Live from a portable hard drive WD My passport Essential 500GB. The sound disappears for about half-a-second, say every 15 seconds. So I miss one word from time to time, so not convenient. The sound does not hang, it is really missing for about half-a-second. The video keeps playing OK though.

I noticed that after a few minutes, the problem often disappears, but not always.

It might be related to a bad setting in Audio page, but I found nothing in the manual related to that.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot,

JC

I have the same problem, seems to happen with mp4 files with aac sound, I just bought it yesterday so not sure its only this format. Some help with issue would be appreciated. If it cant be fixed I will return it…

jccman wrote:

Hi,

I am having a problem sometimes (too often :wink: while playing a video on my WD TV Live from a portable hard drive WD My passport Essential 500GB. The sound disappears for about half-a-second, say every 15 seconds. So I miss one word from time to time, so not convenient. The sound does not hang, it is really missing for about half-a-second. The video keeps playing OK though.

I noticed that after a few minutes, the problem often disappears, but not always.

It might be related to a bad setting in Audio page, but I found nothing in the manual related to that.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot,

JC

What are the codecs and container of the files you are playing?

Generally XviD and mp3. But I will check.

But I think I have the problem since I started to use my portable hard drive WD My passport Essential. Before I used an external Maxtor hard drive, and it worked fine.

I think I need to do some specific tets, but I don’t know which ones.

and container AVI or MKV, it does not change I would say.

I suspect it’s related to those codecs – MKV is usually a *very* reliable container, but needs AC3 or some such (and Xvid support is sketchy at best).

Xvid support is just fine if you don’t use settings like QPel and GMC to encode your AVIs. I haven’t had any playback issues with VBR MP3 so far.

Agreed, XviD works fine as long as it hasn’t been encoded with GMC warp points.  Don’t have any with QPel but GMC for sure makes files unplayable on the Live.

The only solution for those files is to use AVI Recomp (or a similar app) to re-encode the files and strip out GMC/QPel.  I had a bunch of anime encoded with GMC: 3 warppoints and they were unplayable.  After running them through AVI Recomp they play great and, most importantly, still look fine (no significant change in filesize either).  

Depending on your CPU speed and the filesize / media duration it can take a little while to process.  However, it does have a file queue and you can set up a bunch of files to process easily and then leave it running overnight if need be.

Having said that… it would be best if you posted up the MediaInfo for one of the non-working AVI / Xvid files so we can verify if the video codec is indeed the problem.