Some files Encrypted without password

Hello!

Hope someone have some tips here, as there are some files and pictures from holidays I have taken that is now encrypted it seems…

I have no password on my drive, but I noticed it had a “lock” on the side each time I put files into it, but didn’t find a way to remove it (didn’t use very much time either…) - as the files were 100% accessible for me.

Then it seems, when I reformatted my computer a couple month ago, I now get an error message on opening.
Drive is fully open, I can access many other files that didn’t have this lock. I’m also quite certain there was some files I added after reformatting, that were accessible for some time, and then suddenly also those got locked out…

How is this happening, there is no password on the drive - how can I access these files now?

I have checked all “right click properties” I can think of, “Security” settings and all says “Full Controll = Allow” for all that I can find.
Tried setting password and taking it away also, successfully performed, but no access to files…

Hope someone can help! Many important files there I would like to get back :confused:

Br,
Frustrated Drive user

Hi @P0k3mon,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Hi @Keerti_01
Thanks for your feedback - I believe I found out the cause… It looks to be a “Windows Encryption” and not the WD - I might have done to a folder once that has spread to all the subfolders…

If I try to go into the properties and remove the encryption, I just get error that I can’t decrypt them, and I can’t “Recover Certificate” or backup the keys… I can’t add a user either, because I must have write/read access to add a user as well, and that user is purged through windows re-installation :frowning:

So I guess I’m either stuck there for now - will never use that encryption again at least.