Ask me what I did not try for last 18 months… downgrading the Firmware, Disabling twinkeee…iTunes, editing configuration files using the console or many other funny suggestions…I went through all what I found in online forums and even took help from WD helpdesk but nothing worked.
But what I did not try is, INSTALLING THE DEVICE DRIVER MANUALLY.
Think, WD My Book World is not (anymore) Plug and Play device in windows 7. You need to go to device manager at control panel and manually show the path for the driver file.
I had the original installation disk where I found the driver files. You can download the image file for the entire installation disk from WD website.
Remember, running the SETUP file from the installation disk will not install the device driver.
Probable reason for disappearing the drive from the network is, your pc or any other pc in the network is not behaving well with the drive. So it stops responding to any request and disappears. To make your PC behave, follow these steps (for whom who needs details):
- Plug in WD MB World to the network and turn it on.
- Control Panel --> System --> Device manager --> Disks : Here you will see the drive is listed.
- Update / install the driver by showing the path manually.
- Now check the Network in windows explorer. MyBookWorld icon looks EXACTLY like the device looks like, that means you’re done.
- Now you can turn on other pc’s in the network and follow the same steps.
Good luck and let us know if this helps.