[SOLVED] My Cloud Home PCB burned! How to extract data out from HDD?

It’s a shame I can’t run the script because the database file is missing. Please see this screenshot:

As you can see, the “restsdk” file should be a folder, not a file. So I can’t dig into it and see if there is any database file inside.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks but that is like reading klingon to me.
Anyway, I started my PC on Ubuntu USB stick and be able to see the database file and configure de script with custom folders and run it in the terminal.
My problem is the same as others: “Can’t read index.db file”
But the .db file is sure there (I can see it in the explorer) and don’t know what to do to force the script see it.

The post above linked to a detail but basic terminal commands to map the index.db location so that the recovery script can read it. It is unlikely that any Linux script could be explained as simply as in that thread. But in your case it doesn’t matter because it looked like something or someone erased the database and data folder to the user files so there is nothing there to read - this is sometimes seen when a My Cloud Home has been cleaned of user files with a 60 second reset.

For the benefit of other readers, the thread described above continued to show how to map the index.db file and use the recovery script to read and run it:

Finally, we are ready to run the Springfield recovery Python script by changing the first lines of the script (you can change the paths depending on your files’ location and also omit the extra # comments):

db='/media/mymch/restsdk/db/index.db'  #where the file DB is stored 
filedir='/media/mymch/restsdk/files'   #where the files are stored 
dumpdir='/media/mydsm/MCH/dump/files'
#dumpdir='/location/to/dump/files/to' #where you want the new files dumped
1 Like

Thanks, but my situation changed because at first the disc was in a faulty connection that prevented to be read correctly.

But NOW I can see the folder and the Index.db file itself.
But the script keeps telling me that it can’t be read.
I don’t understand because now it is accesible, but I don’t know if I have to do anything more in order to make the script see the same as myself.

I tried all above, but my restsdk folder has a cross on the icon. I suppose that means I’m not the owner of it so the script can’t access it even when I can see it.
But I don’t know anything about linux and don’t know how to take ownership. I tried with the disks gui but it throws error when trying to take ownership.