SMP - Cannot Connect to Shares

My WDTV SMP now refuses to connect to media on a share that worked until yesterday.  I have a drive shared for video and the permissions are set to Everyone and Administrators, with ANONYMOUS LOGON set to included in Everyone in gpedit.msc.  The permissions are rock solid; these shares should work.  I also eliminated wireless connectivity by running a factory patch cable to the SMP.

I can see the share; anonymous login works, the proper folders show up but if I click on a given file (that worked until last night) it now gives me the Spinning Arrow of Death.  Factory resets do nothing, so **bleep** please, richUK.

I gave up on figuring out sharing and installed TVersity instead.  The SMP can connect to the media server but cannot see the shared folder.  Interestingly, TVersity throws an error: "Error - Could not execute SQL statement, reason: unrecognized token: “"”.

So what did these morons break?

Alright, so now I’ve got Ubuntu (Linux) running as a virtual machine (VMWare Player) with MediaTomb (DLNA server) running and this setup is working–for now!

I’m trying to imagine how they could have made this sorry box work any worse with Windows 7 but I’m drawing a blank so far.

hammmy wrote:

Interestingly, TVersity throws an error: "Error - Could not execute SQL statement, reason: unrecognized token: “"”.

So what did these morons break?

That’s a bug … in TVersity.   

WD is passing a “Container” token to DLNA servers.    It’s how the DLNA server knows whether the client is asking for Video / Photos / Music / whatever.  

The token is optional.   Most DLNA servers that don’t support containers simply ignore them.    Twonky (even pretty old versions) supports the token correctly.  TVersity barfs.

But I was to understand TVersity fixed that a long time ago.   I guess not; looking over at TVersity forums, the limitation is still there…

If you search that error here or there, you’ll see lots of discussion about it.

So if by “Morons,” you’re referring to TVersity, well, I guess you’d have to ask them.  The issue is theirs.

It’d be interesting to see a Wireshark capture of your server while the WD is Spinning Arrows…  I’d be curious to know what’s going on (or not going on.)