SMB Version in MyCloud PR2100 2.30.193 Firmware?

Hi there,

My aim is to use my MyCloud PR2100 as a shared storage for archived Final Cut Media Libraries. But Final Cut says: “Unsupported Volume type – Choose a local, SAN or supported SMB location”.

Apple says this on the support page for Final Cut about the requirements of “supported SMB”:

How to configure a Linux Network Attached Storage (NAS) system for Final Cut Pro X 10.3

A Linux Network Attached Storage (NAS) SMB volume must originate from a Linux server running Samba 4.3.4 or later configured with modules for Apple compatibility.

vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
(https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207128)

My question would be: Is there a sufficient Samba Version included in the 2.30.193 Firmware version?
What else do I possibly need to do in order to get this running?

Thanks!
Claude

This is the version

root@MyCloudPR4100 root # smbd -V
Version 4.3.11

And here you’ll find some info on the required changes in /etc/samba/smb.conf
You might need some init / cron scripts to apply your changes on boot… search the forum.
I don’t have apple gear so I can’t test it for you.

You may call support as well.

EDIT:
As I’m in good mood, here’s what I’d do:

• Copy the /etc/samba/smb.conf to a permanent location, e.g. /shares/Volume_1/my_smb.conf
  • Make the changes to the my_smb.conf
  • Restart samba with the updated config

To keep this behavior on reboot, add these lines to the init.sh script of any app, e.g. entware at /shares/Volume_1/Nas_Prog/entware/init.sh

ln -sf /shares/Volume_1/my_smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf
/usr/sbin/smb restart

Hi,
Well, thanks for the good mood and your help.

So there’s a very good chance that I’ll be able to make it work on this system, right?
I’ll do my best as soon as I get back from vacation. So thanks so much for now.

The idea with the copied file is that it will continue to work after a firmware upgrade, right? (that’s crucial for me).

Thanks again and continue to have a good day :slight_smile:

Firmware upgrade is probably for end of the year… but yes this will survive even that.
But if you make new shares, your custom smb.conf may need to be updated.

Thanks for this solution, it did not work fully for reason I’ll explain, however since I have the the modified init.sh on a unused app , I just toggle the run app off to on to off to have the smb restarted with the custom smb.conf…Going back to where I left off…I tried this in a WD EX2 Ultra… But the bad news is upon reboot the linked file my_smb.conf stored on Volume_1 also gets overwritten. Please let me know if there are any other ideas to make it happen. I’m making smb.conf changes due to OSX issue connecting to the samba shares. Thought about doing a remote ssh from OSX to have the script run remotely to restart smb, but it may involve entering password multiples times unless you use a public private key for your ssh, which also faces the same problem of getting wiped off during reboot. My smb is version 4.3.11.