Smartware not backup My Document

I just purchased a My Cloud 4TB, and installed the latest SmartWare. It can backup all userdata but the folder “My Document”. I just simply can’t choose this folder to include it in backup. However, this folder is the only reason I bought My Cloud :frowning:

Appreciate any help.

What OS are you using? In Windows 7 and 8 there is a My Document link in the user folder that is there for compatibility purposes, but in these OSes, the Documents folder is the one to worry about.

If this is not the issue, did you relocate your Documents folder to another location?

Are you doing a file backup or category backup? If you are doing category then click on Advanced View and choose what you want backed up. See image below.

For more help click on the Help tab. You can view the User Manual too by clicking on the link on the bottom of the Help tab page.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

I have the same problem here using smartware (pro). Let me explain.

Windows 7 Ultimate (English)

Typical Windows set up one HDD (IDE) that is divided in the usual partitions C: and D:

Moved the “my documents” to the D: partition. I have used the Windows option for moving the “my documents” so MS Office etc. will know where to look.

The D:\ partition is also shared on my LAN

This leaves C:\ for the OS to do its thing and when a unexpected event with the OS happens, I have my data on D:</font>

For your piece of mind I have a second HDD where I back up the whole system every day with Windows backup. No space left, so one of the reasons to buy the My Cloud.

Using Smartware Pro

I can install the program no problem

When selecting the “source drive” the D:\ partition on my Windows PC I cannot select any of the directories in the selection screen hence cannot backup the D:\ partition.

The C:\ partition is not a problem I can select all I like and start the backup.

Any idea why?

1 Like

My OS is WIN7, company’s laptop comes with firewall. “My Document” is under D:\ as you can see. I can backup every thing under D:\ but “My Document” ( I couldn’t tick it).

My Document

I couldn’t tick “My Document” to backup.

Did you try to put a check mark in the DATA (D: ) box at the top?

I have not performed a file backup but looking at the User Manual, which you can do too by clicking on the Help tab and then the Online User Manuals at the bottom, you will see what I am talking about. See page 45, backing up files.

A question, is this your computer or the company’s computer?

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

Arash.Ronghui wrote:

My OS is WIN7, company’s laptop comes with firewall. “My Document” is under D:\ as you can see. I can backup every thing under D:\ but “My Document” ( I couldn’t tick it).

In Win7, go the view folder and search options, choose to unhide hidden files and protected file systems. You user folder should list:

AppData folder: this is the folder used by Win7 to store user profile data

Application Data: this is shortcut that is not used by the user, only the OS for compatibility purposes. No need to back this up.

Contacts

Cookies: this is shortcut that is not used by the user. No need to back this up.

Desktop: this is used by the OS and the user, location can be changed by right clicking, choosing properties,

Documents: THIS is your documents folder, location can be changed

Download: this is used by the OS, location can be changed

Favories: ditto

Links: Ditto

Local Settings: this is shortcut that is not used by the user. No need to back this up.

Music: this is used by the OS and the user, location can be changed

My Documents: this is shortcut that is not used by the user. No need to back this up.

Net Hood: ditto

Pictures: this is used by the OS and the user, location can be changed

PrintHood: this is shortcut that is not used by the user. No need to back this up

Recent: this is shortcut that is not used by the user. No need to back this up

Saved Games: this is used by the OS and the user, location can be changed

Searches:this is used by the OS and the user, location can be changed

SentTo: this is shortcut that is not used by the user. No need to back this up

StartMenu: this is shortcut that is not used by the user. No need to back this up

Templates: this is shortcut that is not used by the user. No need to back this up

Videos: this is used by the OS and the user, location can be changed

It appears that you have copied the contents of your user to your D: partition…

The folders you listed in your pictures are all bogus folders that you don’t need to backup.

What you have to do is to change the default location of your user folders from C:\users\YourUser to D:\userdata\YourUser

To do this, hide hidden files and protected file folders, and right click on the folders listed above where I indicate which ones have a location that can be changed. Choose properties, default location.

Note that I recommend against changing the desktop, the download folder. It is supported, but can lead to issues if you reinstall Windows, unlike the other folders.

1 Like

Thanks for everyone’s help! The problem was sovled after moved My Document to D:\Application.

Arash.Ronghui wrote:

Thanks for everyone’s help! The problem was sovled after moved My Document to D:\Application.

Please mark it as solved so others can benefit and give Kusdos to those who helped :smiley: