Smartware login to a share with no workgroup

Background to my question to the group:

I have a laptop at home (no workgroup or domain)
I have the WD Mycloud with a share I created
I have my user named on the WD mycloud as just my first name.

I have the latest version of smart ware installed… When I select the share I created
on mycloud it prompts me to log in Note: I don’t want to make it a public share if I don’t have to … but rather grant the access to my user.

When it prompts me to log in … the smartware software is prefixing my login name
with the default windows workgroup (named: workgroup). I didn’t create my user
on myCloud that way so it fails.

When I tried to use my laptop name followed by "" and my user named that isn’t
accepted either. I can map drives etc fine… it’s just when smart ware tries to use
the work group name it fails.

I’m wondering if there’s a way to get rid of that somehow?

Does the share belong to you or someone else? Not sure what you are trying to do but suggest you read all the Help (?) information provided in the Dashboard.

As for a Workgroup see image below.

Click, tap or activate image to enlarge it.

cat0w
USA

I own the share and also updated the users so we have full access.

I checked and the workgroup names between windows and MyCloud were different so I
updated them to be the same. I didn’t see any noticable difference immediately so I’m
going to do a reboot in case that’s needed.

Upon checking this it appears that All of my shares on Mycloud which are non-public
cannot be logged into via SmartWare … the only way it works is if they’re public. I saw
one other thread related to this but the solution provided was to make it public as a fix.

I made them all public now which works fine… When the login fails what occurs is no
error message is shown , just the smartware mycloud icon doesn’t change and shows
to click to login. When the share is public the access occurs immediately.

I don’t ever remember having to sign in to SmartWare except maybe when I went form regular SmartWare to SmartWare Pro and that was for the download.

When I want to backup something I open up my SmartWare choose the Home tab, choose the backup source and then choose under My Cloud from the drop down menu what share I want to backup to. Then I go to the backup tab and start the backup.

cat0w
USA

Thank you cat0w, I’ll add a few more additional details below… for now I’ll just use
public as a “work-around”

Forgot to include the software and version …
Indeed it was SmartWare Pro and the version is 2.4.12

The issue is on the “home” tab where you select the target for the backup.
For now the only fix I know is to use public for share permissions on Mycloud as
a bandaid, if there’s any logging or insight into authentication I’ll try to troubleshoot
the SmartWare Pro login to the share.

This appears to be fixed in version 2.4.13 of SmartWare Pro

If you’re using 2.4.12 and do “check for update” nothing will show up …

I had to manually download it. The install took forever for some reason but eventually
finished… appears to resolve the issue

Same problem: Smartware will not login.
No solution yet. Some observations:

On Smartware 2.4.21.1; rebuilt drive from factory settings.
Renamed my WD account from “Tim” to my WD UserName, which also matches the desktop’s user-name.
Deleted the Smartware Share; re-created; made it public, added my account to the Share with full rights.

Attempting to login with “workgroup\myname”
Password same as the desktop login

If I had a suspicion, the Windows 10 desktop login is not a local account; it is a Microsoft (profile) account – and it is using a PIN.