Smartware has stopped backing up files

I have the latest version of smartware (2.0.1) and the latest version of software on my 3TB MBL.  I had smartware running on a couple of Windows 7 machines in continuous backup and it was working fine but today any amended or new files aren’t being backed up.  When I look on the backup tab I can see the new file has appeared and has a tick next to it and the screen has Copying Files showing but nothing is copies across.  Any ideas?

Hello,

Is this happening on all of the computers? If not, can you try reinstalling the software on the computer that is not backing the the files properly.

Hi,

I found 2 out of the 3 laptops were suffering from the problem.  These faulty two had recently applied the latest windows update.  When I applied the windows update to the third one it also stopped working.  I took the software off all 3, deleted the backups and re-installed the software.  It is now working ok on all 3 pc’s.

Thanks for you reply.

Another issue I seem to have is sometimes the smartware and the WD Quick View fail to see the MB but at the samer time I can still connect to the shares.  Any idea what might be causing this?

I found 2 out of the 3 laptops were suffering from the problem.  These faulty two had recently applied the latest windows update.  When I applied the windows update to the third one it also stopped working.  I took the software off all 3, deleted the backups and re-installed the software.  It is now working ok on all 3 pc’s.

Hi, please help me understand what you’re talking about because I have this exact problem. When you say “the latest windows update”, what are you talking about? When you say you “took the software off”, what software? When you “deleted the backups”, which backups? And then you “re-installed the software”. Which software did you reinstall? 

Sorry I’m bad with computers and I really need to understand how you fixed this, because I don’t know what to do. If you can explain it in simple terms, I will be so very grateful. Thanks!!

I have been having this problem also. I had been running smartware ver 1.6 on a win xp machine and it ran fine. when I moved to a win 8 machine and updated smartware to ver 2.1 it stops working. I installed it and it did a complete backup and was in continuous mode. I t never backed up a changed file. support told me to uninstall and reinstall smartware. that solved the problem for a few days. then it stopped backing up modifed files again. I have seen where some are having the problem only with a .pst file but I have it with any file.

Hi, please help me understand what you’re talking about because I have this exact problem. When you say “the latest windows update”, what are you talking about? When you say you “took the software off”, what software? When you “deleted the backups”, which backups? And then you “re-installed the software”. Which software did you reinstall? 

Sorry I’m bad with computers and I really need to understand how you fixed this, because I don’t know what to do. If you can explain it in simple terms, I will be so very grateful. Thanks!!

Hello,

what MarkSheldon  is referring to when he says windows latest updates the windows automatic updates. .Net framework and service pack.

Also when he said deleted the backups. I guess he meant the first backup that he did on the drive.

The software that he is talking about is the WD Smartware backup software

So basically what he did was to uninstall the WD Smartware and install that again. Also he deleted the backup folder from the drive. Now make sure that you have your files in the computer hard drive before you do that.

Richard042

Is the software detecting the new files and not backing that up or is not detecting the new files on the computer?

Hi I’m having the same problem. I have the Wd MyBook 3TB drive just bought it new a month or two ago. It seems ever since I updated to the latest version of WD SmartWare it stopped backing up files, it even knocked my storage drive out (the BIOS wouldn’t recognize it), but that issue is resolved now.

The WD Smartware app recognizes the new files on my storage drive and they are checked but when I click “backup now” it says backing up but the new files never get backed up.  I don’t want to have to delete all my file versions and backed up files.  But, if I reinstall the software will it re-backup everything again thus ignoring the files already backed up on my WD MyBook drive?

Did you find a solution?

I had to reboot mybook live after troubleshooting for days firewall, network, windows. Reboot and it was magic.

MarkSheldon wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for you reply.

Another issue I seem to have is sometimes the smartware and the WD Quick View fail to see the MB but at the samer time I can still connect to the shares.  Any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks, I’ll give it a try.