Smartware freezing computer and missing drive letters

WD My Book Essential 3TB USB 3.0 - Windows 7 Professional

After several days of intense trouble shooting, I finally found the culprit of the computer freezing and my hard drives randomly disappearing.   WD Smartware!  I upgraded to the latest version and updated the firmware and problem did not go away.  Had to switch from a USB 3.0 port to USB 2.0 to upgrade the firmware.

Has anyone had this problem and have you found a solution.

Thanks,

PS.  How I came to this conclusion:

* Updated sata drivers for MB

* Made sure virus scanner was up to date and scanned the whole system a few times… Nothing found

*  Downloaded and ran Malware scan… Nothing found

*  Disabled Shadow and Restore… Nope.

*  Swapped sata ports on all the hard drives… Nope.

*  Updated Smartware and Firmware for the WD Essential.  (had to move to a USB 2.0 port to update firmware)… Nope…

*  Repair install of MS Office 2007… Nope…

(MS Outlook was freaking out the most, staring at the spinning icon for virtually every click for almost a minute at a time.

*  Unhooked WD MyBook 3TB USB 3.0…   Looking good for 3 days… no problems…

*  Plugged drive back in, problems resurfaced right away. 

*  Went into Services, stopped and disabled the following:

WDDMService

WDFMEService

WDRulesService

The issue of computer freezing and harddrives randomly disappearing quit.  Just to be sure, I restarted the services and they problem immediately resurfaced. 

Mike_Re, perhaps it would be best to contact WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support:
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Regards,

Mike_Re wrote:

WD My Book Essential 3TB USB 3.0 - Windows 7 Professional

After several days of intense trouble shooting, I finally found the culprit of the computer freezing and my hard drives randomly disappearing.   WD Smartware!  I upgraded to the latest version and updated the firmware and problem did not go away.  Had to switch from a USB 3.0 port to USB 2.0 to upgrade the firmware.

Has anyone had this problem and have you found a solution.

Thanks,

PS.  How I came to this conclusion:

* Updated sata drivers for MB

* Made sure virus scanner was up to date and scanned the whole system a few times… Nothing found

*  Downloaded and ran Malware scan… Nothing found

*  Disabled Shadow and Restore… Nope.

*  Swapped sata ports on all the hard drives… Nope.

*  Updated Smartware and Firmware for the WD Essential.  (had to move to a USB 2.0 port to update firmware)… Nope…

*  Repair install of MS Office 2007… Nope…

(MS Outlook was freaking out the most, staring at the spinning icon for virtually every click for almost a minute at a time.

*  Unhooked WD MyBook 3TB USB 3.0…   Looking good for 3 days… no problems…

*  Plugged drive back in, problems resurfaced right away. 

*  Went into Services, stopped and disabled the following:

WDDMService

WDFMEService

WDRulesService

The issue of computer freezing and harddrives randomly disappearing quit.  Just to be sure, I restarted the services and they problem immediately resurfaced. 

Did you contact support? If so were they able to resolve your issue? If not have you tried updating to the latest version of SmartWare?