WD My Book Essential 3TB USB 3.0 - Windows 7 Professional
After several days of intense trouble shooting, I finally found the culprit of the computer freezing and my hard drives randomly disappearing. WD Smartware! I upgraded to the latest version and updated the firmware and problem did not go away. Had to switch from a USB 3.0 port to USB 2.0 to upgrade the firmware.
Has anyone had this problem and have you found a solution.
PS. How I came to this conclusion:
* Updated sata drivers for MB
* Made sure virus scanner was up to date and scanned the whole system a few times… Nothing found
* Downloaded and ran Malware scan… Nothing found
* Disabled Shadow and Restore… Nope.
* Swapped sata ports on all the hard drives… Nope.
* Updated Smartware and Firmware for the WD Essential. (had to move to a USB 2.0 port to update firmware)… Nope…
* Repair install of MS Office 2007… Nope…
(MS Outlook was freaking out the most, staring at the spinning icon for virtually every click for almost a minute at a time.
* Unhooked WD MyBook 3TB USB 3.0… Looking good for 3 days… no problems…
* Plugged drive back in, problems resurfaced right away.
* Went into Services, stopped and disabled the following:
The issue of computer freezing and harddrives randomly disappearing quit. Just to be sure, I restarted the services and they problem immediately resurfaced.