Smartctl version is out-dated and does not let enable of TLER / ERC / CCTL -- fixed

Ok, so I got the ex4100 diskless and was hoping to be able to use the smartctl tools to be able to use enterprise drives from another manufacturer.

This is well and dandy but the smartctl version of 5.3 is beyond dated.

So… I cross compiled my own build of smartctl using the GPL code (requires 32-bit linux; terrible).

Here it is for anyone else wanting to use it:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15524812/smartctl

For anyone else wanting to enable TLER to not tear up their hitachi / toshiba drives:

smartctl -l scterc,70,70 /dev/sdX  (replace X with disk)

Hope it helps someone.

Next stop… form an app package and use MITM to allow install as a “supported app”? Well, maybe if there is enough interest.

1 Like

Thanks for taking this initiative. I might use your version down the road, but you did not mention which version yours is. I am running an older firmware on my EX2 and it comes with the ancient 5.38…but I doubt any of the newer firmwares for EX2/EX4/EX2100/EX4100 have anything much newer. I suspect they still have the same version.

That’s been one of my biggest criticisms about WD’s firmware. A big chunk of the components (be it the web server or anything else) in the firmware are stale beyond belief. I have cross-compiled a couple things that I wanted to get more updated versions of and put it into my own custom-compiled firmware. I do not think WD’s practice of using stale software will change with the upcoming OS 3.0 release. This is where the folks at QNAP and Synology have them beat (I have a QNAP TS-453 Pro as well) and they are constantly updating the components inside their firmware and incorporating the latest and greatest stuff. I bought my QNAP so that I can throw some VMs that I built on my laptop’s VirtualBox and have them run 24x7. With QNAP’s latest release of firmware due out sometime this month, they are incorporating Docker container technology. And that keeps me loving their work - the fact that they constantly push the envelope. Of course, I do know that even if WD wanted to, on most of their NASes, at last the older EX2 and E4, they are limited by the very low memory and other low hardware capability…but things like included web servers, etc. can at least be brought to newer versions, but they don’t bother with even that.

Anyway, thanks again for your work. Please do let us know what version of smartctl you have made available here.

Version 6.4 (latest) is the one I compiled and linked to.

I was unsure of going with the WD vs QNAP, and may have to re-evalute eventually.

For now though, I’ll try and contribute as much back as I can.

Instructions on how to cross compile might be something that could help a lot of others out there, so I might make a wiki or something.