Slow streming on PS3

Hi,

I’m using a WD My Cloud 3TB and I would like stream my video on my PS3. However most of the time the reading is starting well, and litle by litle the transfer speed is going down, freezing the video more and more often untill the console cannot play it at all.

Any solutions?

EDIT: After several test, it seems that the issue comes from the PS3. I’ll find a solution by myself.

try to use plex media server instead  http://plexapp.com/

Didn’t know plex, this seems a wonderfull app.

But did you install on your MyCloud? Can you explain how you do that please? Because I don’t know which plex I have to download for MyCloud, and how replace twonky by Plex.

Mycloud’s cpu is very slow to do the transcoding of  video files with a decent quality. Twonky preinstalled server can play only simple videos so dont expect to watch a high quality movie.

From my experience Ps3 media server works quite well with fixed drives (internal or usb) but not with ethernet nas drives. The files listing takes for ever to appear, and mamy video files cannot be rendered for some reason.  

Plex is meant to be installed on a pc (choose the windows/mac/linux version) and let your pc do the transcoding. Unfortunately there’s not a version for the mycloud device.

I have installed it on a pc and it works perfectly with mycloud. I’m able to play easily 3d video 1080 60p  (on a gigabit switch)

Also try to cancel all the crazy file scannings which take forever to complete and disable the twonky server from mycloud ,  in order to free the cpu resources. There are plenty of posts inside the forum that show you how to do that.

Regards

Andreas

Twonky transcoding is not setup out of the box,you have to install extra package like ffmpeg etc.

The following format are playable by default:

• Music: MP3, WMA, WAV, 3GP, M4A, MP4, LPCM, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, MP2, AC3, MPA, MP1, AIF, MID, ISMA
  • Photo: JPEG, PNG, TIF, BMP
  • Video: MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG2-TS, MPEG4, AVI, WMV, VOB, DivX, 3GP, VDR, ASF, MPE, DVR-MS, Xvid, M1V, M4V, WEBM, QT, F4V, ISMV, MKV, MOV

Remeber PS3 isonly Wirless G, not the fastest. Make sure  you have good strong signal to the PS3. In network setting check what it says. It says how fast it can stream.

As usual with wireless you are at the mercy of your wireless router and signal strength. Make sure you have a steady strong signal or playing on PS3 will fluctuate with signal.

PS3 format:

• Memory Stick Video Format
    • MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
    • H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
    • MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
  • MP4 file format
    • H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
  • MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
  • MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
  • MPEG-2 TS(MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AC3(Dolby Digital), AAC LC)
  • MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
  • AVI
    • Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
    • Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
  • AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)
  • DivX
  • WMV
    • VC-1(WMA Standard V2)

My PS3 palys just fine, Currently it says it can stream at 16.9 Mbps. I have no preblems streaming movies from mycloud. You can do additional testing by plugging a network cable to the PS3 .

Furthermore, if you have IOS or Android, you can test streaming by downloading Twonky beam. Sit next to PS3 and stream (wirelessly), just troubleshooting.

My PS3 does not see / find my WD My Cloud 4TB.

When I select Search for Media Server on either Photo / Music / or Video, i am told that No media servers can be found.

I know the PS3 is on the network as I can ping its IP address from my laptop which is on the same network as the My Cloud.  I have checked the Twonky Server settings and all seems to be ok - i have also done a re-scan and database rebuild on the My Cloud but still no luck.

Any advice would appreciated as the only way I can stream anything at the moment is through my macbook pro installed instance of iTunes.

Regards

Gary

@ironman13, have you enabled the media server services? it is found under network setting, last item.