Slow performance and file scanning applications on WD My Cloud

jdeviney wrote:

The user manual doesn’t explain what the iTunes server does exactly.  From another post http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/iTunes-Server/m-p/679339/highlight/true#M7442 it looks like that feature allows your music to show as a “Shared Library” inside of iTunes.  Well, if I have already updated my iTunes configuration to read/store music on my network mapped WD My Cloud share I guess I don’t need the iTunes server running on My Cloud.  Is this correct?  I’ll give it a try.  If that works that’s one less software application to run on My Cloud.

So, this works for me.  I have iTunes server disabled but I can access my WD My Cloud Public shared music tracks fine from iTunes on my Mac.  I have the Public share automounted to a local drive on my Mac and I have iTunes configured to use that folder, /mnt/Public/Shared Music/iTunes/iTunes Media, for my iTunes Media folder location.  Library Share under iTunes looks like an alternative way to make the media available to multiple iTunes clients.

For streaming to other devices like my Denon surround sound receiver I am using the DLNA Media Server (Twonky).