Slow 250kbs Download rate when using my cloud services

Hi,

I have a my cloud and when i try and use it remotely to download a file is super slow. So i log into my files.mycloud.com and it seems to cap me out at 250kbs. is there a setting in the my cloud software i need to set up or is my ISP settings? I have Comcast and a 200MBs down and a 50mbs up connection. when i set up a server with while back with a lot slower of a connection than that i was getting about 1.5mbs down load speed.

i also have a Belkin ac600 plugged into my Comcast router that i run my home network on and my cloud is plugged into that, getting full bandwidth of my network.

Thanks for any advice

What is the download speed at the remote location? How is the device connected to the local network at the remote location, using WiFi or Ethernet? Is the remote location a public WiFi location or a work location?

There are a number of reasons why you could be seeing slow download via a remote connection. Its possible the remote location is using QoS (quality of service) or similar feature to limit a device’s download speed so at to not over saturate the entire local connection which would affect other users.

Hi Bennor,

The connection speed at both locations was really fast. one location is at 100MBs down load and about 10 up and the second location i tried from had a 1000Mbs down and almost the same up. the speed was the same 270kbs starting and the trickles down to about 180kbs. On a single file download not a bunch of really small files.

i don’t have any port forwarding configured on my My cloud or any of my routers/modems. do you think this will help at all?

should i do port forwarding on both my Comcast router and my Belkin one?

i have the Comcast just proving internet then everything is on my Belkin.

are there any special ports to use other than port 21?

how much setup is there to just get the full speed out of my cloud when accessing it remote? I’m very tech savy as i am a tech for a living, i used to have a file server with FileZilla and could pull about 1.8mbs to 2mbs with a lot slower of a connection i am using now but i had all the port forwarding set up in my Comcast router.

Thank you in advance for any advice or help on this topic!

You can try using the manual Remote Access option by accessing the My Cloud Dashboard, selecting the Configure option next to the Remote Access option. The set the option to Manual. Choose (or leave at default) the two port number options. The save the settings. Then access the main local network router on the network the My Cloud is on and enable port forwarding and forward the two ports that were configured in the My Cloud Dashboard. One can then recheck the Dashboard to see if the My Cloud Remote Access indicates connected.

Then see if the speed improves with remote access.