Sleeplessness in Passport country

Our WD Passport drives (10 drives comprising 3 editions of mostly 4GB 2.5" spinners) are meant for retrievable archives and for backups of the 5 Windows computers on our LAN.

I had hoped and expected that they could be connected via an Anker 10-port Hub to a Caldigit Thunderbolt 3+ docking station attached to a stationary laptop.

But … none of the drives will sleep despite having been set to do so 10 minutes after last usage.

Caldigit says that hubs are not a supported configuration.

Should I conclude from this that the 10-minute scenario is not a drive-located setting that the drive itself enforces? Or is it dynamically governed by Windows-based WD software? Or is it dynamically governed by Windows itself, having once been informed of the sleep setting?

Does a drive need to be connected directly to the Windows host in order to sleep? Will it not sleep if connected to a hub? The drives are visible to WD software regardless of docking station or hub.

Is there a command that can be issued to a drive to make it sleep? Will it wake automatically when requested to fulfill a tasked request?

Is there any way to make drives attached to a docking station or hub sleep according to set parameters?

BTW, all computers are latest Win10Pro.

You can try the Mount and UNmount either the from command line or GUI. See the two links below. Hope it help.

I appreciate your taking the time to put forward a possible solution here. My hope, of course, is to allow disks to sleep in a timely manner whether by computer or disk control, but in any case without my intervention.

My search for answers has taken me to the possibly-related areas of computer sleep-state (s0 vs s3), Windows Defender side effects, and WD Utilities side effects.

Wish me well … !!

If I come up with an answer, I shall pass it on. And if you have additional insights, please let me know.

With thanks,

ITgreybeard