Shut down safely for the night time, but unable to open in the morning!

omg…

I do not want my book live to blinking all the night and use power for nothing

so I “shut down” it safely in Quick View.

But now … how do I get it open again!?

It has vanished from Quick View and also from “My computer” (Win 7)

My Book Essential opens while I open my laptop and

MBE is ready to work, MBL keeps on sleeping…

? How to wake it up?

If  you remove the power plug and then reconnect it this will power it up again. I do not know if there is another/better way.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer!

I got mine open while I switched on power to my extend el wire

so that woke up also MBL

But I must say… I am truely dissappointed to this new device. :frowning:

It is slow in speed, comprared to my older My Book Essential usb 2.0!

So sad I believed WD site… should have chosen another My Book Essential, but usb 3.0.

WD web site hides important facts! Like this totally unsafe system where BML should be open over night,

but if is shut down safaly it needs different tricks to open again!

MBL is slow and oldfashioned!

That´s my opinion after two days of problem solving with this new device…

if is shut down safaly it needs different tricks to open again!

I think you are VERY confused.  Any device that shuts down but is able to still be on the network to turn it back on is *NOT* actually off to begin with!  :smileyvery-happy:

What are you expecting to do?  You want it to be OFF?   But still be ON?

It is slow in speed, comprared to my older My Book Essential usb 2.0!

The MBL is as fast or faster than any drive I have in my PC…  USB or otherwise.  On any given day, my transfer speeds in & out of the MBL are around 60-70 megabytes per second (420-600 megabits per second) which is MUCH faster than USB.

If yours is as slow as you describe (which you really gave no description) you’ve got something wrong.

Like this totally unsafe system where BML should be open over night,

Huh?

TonyPh12345 wrote:

What are you expecting to do?  You want it to be OFF?   But still be ON?

At night MBL needs to sleep and save power like all devises in this household.

In the morning MBL needs to wake up at the same time with my laptop and MBE (essential).

At the night time for environmentally friendly reasons MBL has no reason to be buzzing alone.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Network-Product-Ideas/Wake-On-Lan-WOL-support-for-My-Book-Live/idi-p/99738

spektro wrote > At night MBL needs to sleep and save power like all devises in this household

It *DOES* do that.

Spektro,

The My Book Live is a network drive that is designed to run all the time.  The physical drive on the inside does go to sleep after a while to conserve power.  However, the enclosure stays active.  This is by design.  If you’re trying to compare the MBL with the My Book Essentials, you are comparing two different kinds of drives.  Network speeds and activity, as well as connectivity will affect transfer speeds with a network drive.  Since the My Book Essential is a USB drive, you will tend to get more consistent speeds with it, because it is directly attached to your computer, and not to a router. 

I’m closing this thread since it is getting off track and your question has been answered.  If you use Quickview to turn off the MBL, you will need to power cycle the drive to restart it.  That means unplug and plug back in the drive to the power source.