Shouldn't MBL be quicker than the MBW?

Hi

I thought one of the selling points of the My Book Live over the older My Book World was speed. A much faster processor?

I’m becoming increasingly frustrated with my MBL so I did some simple tests, up and downloading files to both by FTP. Both NAS drives are plugged into the same router.

Apart from in one test, the MBL was considerably slower:

Upload Test

30mb file -  MBL 31.58 secs, MBW 21.17 secs

55mb folder - MBL 32.20 secs   MBW 14.07 secs

Download test

55mb folder - MBL  21.93 secs   MBW   27.45 secs

8.3 mb file -   MBL 4.14  secs   MBW  2.6s  secs

I’m unimpressed with this and think it’s going to be sent back.

Any thoughts?

One thing I have noticed though is the green light on the MBL in constantly flashing, even though no devices are reading or writing to / from it.

I notice a process  MioCrawler using upwards of 70% of CPU much of the time - I guess that’s slowing it down?

If it’s crunching media files should I turn off disk sleep and just let it get on with it for a few days?

Performance will improve quite a bit once MioCrawler has done its thing.  

should I turn off disk sleep and just let it get on with it for a few days?

No need.  It won’t go to sleep if MioCrawler is still running anyway.

Thanks Tony

I guess that explains why the green light seems to flash continously at the moment?

Yep… that’ll certainly do it.

Hi

I’ve disabled Twonky and iTunes (mainly as a test to see if XBMC would work without it - and it does). I’m still getting really high CPU usage from the mediacrawler process - around 90%

90.6  2.3   3:18.94 mediacrawler  

Do I actually have to stop Twonky from the command line?

Thanks

*** edit***

Actually XBMC played 2 and a half songs after  I stopped Twonky and that was it. Guess it was a cache thing and it does neen Twonky after all…

The Twonky page now states it has finished its scan.

Phew - I now expect this thing to speed up, but no. It’s still dog slow and mediacrawler and miovrawlerp are, between them, almost constantly using nearly 100% CPU.

This is ridiculous.

I’ve also been playing media files on my XBMC, pointing it at the new MBL and it stops after a few tracks, whereas with the old MBW it would keep going until told to stop.

I think it’s time to give up on this and return it to Amazon while its still covered by the 30 day return guarantee. Most disappointing

roger06 wrote:

The Twonky page now states it has finished its scan.

Phew - I now expect this thing to speed up, but no. It’s still dog slow and mediacrawler and miovrawlerp are, between them, almost constantly using nearly 100% CPU.

This is ridiculous.

I’ve also been playing media files on my XBMC, pointing it at the new MBL and it stops after a few tracks, whereas with the old MBW it would keep going until told to stop.

I think it’s time to give up on this and return it to Amazon while its still covered by the 30 day return guarantee. Most disappointing

Twonky only takes an hour or two to do the scan.

You’re confusing a whole bunch of unrelated processes.

Twonky scans in a matter of hours and then it’s done.

MioCrawler, if I recall, is purely indexing PHOTOS and generating thumbnails.   If you added a lot of photos to the /public/shared pictures folder, then that’s what it’s doing.   It took about 2 to 3 days for mine to finish on 10’s of thousands of photos.

mediacrawler is NOT a twonky task, either – WD tells me it’s a file index used with WD 2go for the mobile sharing process.

Now as to why XBMC bails after a few tracks:  I had that issue a long time ago (not with XBMC, specificaly, but just about any DLNA player) – all I needed to do was disable “restart server on NIC changes” in the Twonky options.

Thanks Tony - I appreciate your replies!

So should these processes calm down?  If they don’t I have an unusable NAS effectively

According to Twonky it’s scanned over 58,000 photos so I guess these are all being made into thumbnails?

thanks again…

Twonky will scan them, yes, but Twonky doesn’t build thumbnails. 

The WD Photos server is what’s doing that.

Load WD photos on a smart device (android or apple) and you can see how far that process is getting along.

The thumbnail generation process is particularly onerous because it is CPU intensive as well as I/O intensive.

If you’re not planning to use Mobile Access, you can disable that process.

Right that’s it. The red light is now on this stupid thing. A reset does nothing, it does not reboot. This is going back for a refund. What a disappointment…

roger06 wrote:

The red light is now on this stupid thing. 

Are you still able to access it to see what it thinks is wrong?

Red means:

DISK Failure

Data Volume failure

System Volume Failure

Thermal Shutdown (<— this is what I"m guessing you’re seeing.)

Unsupported Drive (not relevent here.)

Can’t even ping it…

Have you already tried rebooting it?

Yes a couple of times. Disk makes a strange repetitive sound then the red light comes on…

You can’t really hear the sound the disk is making…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kExP-5xs4mI

Safe to say it’s dead… think that explains its poor performance. I’m annoyed I’m having to return it with all my photos and home videos on it as I can’t get into it to delete them.