Should WD My Cloud app work on the old MBL drives?

I’m confused over the new labelling of the WD2Go app to WD My Cloud.

On both my Android phone (Gingerbread) & Tablet (Jelly Beans), the playstore said there was an update.

The description within the playstore stated that “WD2go is now WD My CLoud” … assumption was that WD My Cloud would therefore continue to work on the old MBL drives … so I took it.

Not a problem on my tablet - it all worked. I did not need to get a new access code from the MBL … it just worked!

On phone, I was prompted to enter a new access code. Therefore generated a new access code on the MBL, ready to enter into the app. Trouble is it was the wrong format! Game over! As a result, I had to use Titanium Backup to wind back phone version to the original WD2Go.

Not a show stopper for me, but would be interested to have confirmation that WD My Cloud is meant to work on old MBL drives as well

John159 wrote:

Not a show stopper for me, but would be interested to have confirmation that WD My Cloud is meant to work on old MBL drives as well

I’m guessing this post will need to get moved to:  http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-Mobile-Apps/bd-p/wd_2go as your question relates to the App, not the Hardware.

Yes, it’s just a re-branding of the same app (plus an update.)

You say the access code is the wrong format.   What do you mean?   The access codes on all the different NAS products are 3 groups of four digits;  eg. 1234-5678-9012

Works with the following WD personal cloud storage products:
• My Cloud
• My Book Live
• My Book Live Duo
• My Net N900 Central

And the following cloud services: 
• Dropbox
• Google Drive
• SkyDrive

Are you on latest firmware.

Hi TonyPh12345 / richUK

This is embarassing … just tried again to install WD My Cloud & WD Photos on my (Gingerbread) phone

Neither needed new access code … original authorisation continued to work for both.

So what did I do different this time?

I’m pretty certain I had updated the firmware first, but perhaps this was the reason? Who knows!

But thanks to your feedback I tried again … so many thanks to you both!