Should I Shut Down my G-Raid

I have set up my new 8 TB G-Raid Thunderbolt 3 and used the Configurator to change to Raid 1 Mirrored. So far everything is working great.

I have two questions:

1. Do most people leave their G-Raid on and just let it sleep (that is what I do with my Computer) or is it recommended to Shut it down?
  2. Has anyone tried using Encryption on their G-Raid or is it not recommended.

I would appreciate any feedback on these question.

Thank You
DavidHH

I have always shutdown my G-Raid Drives when not in use i have a 4TB and 6TB booth are Firewire 800 usb 2.0 and Sata i just prefer to shut down when not in use i don’t know if this is the norm or not but it’s what i do.

1. It is completely up to the user. The drives are designed to work at all times and be on so if you wish to leave them on that is fine. If you want to turn them off until you are ready to use it than that is perfectly fine as well.
  2. We try not to recommend encryption just because of the support being non-existent. If you forget the password then you lose everything as you’ll have to Erase the drive to use it again.

Thank You Rydia for the information, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I leave my computer on all the time and let it sleep, so I am going to do the same with my G-Raid.
I will take your advice and will not “Encrypt” the G-Raid, my “Plan B” will be to “Password Protect” only certain files using the appropriate App e.g. Numbers or Pages. These passwords are kept in my Key Chain and would be “Recoverable”.

Thank You for your help.

DavidHH