Should I buy one 4tb or 2x 2tb?

Hi, i need to upgrade my ancient 500GB Buffalo linkstation which I use to store some data backups, as well as my Flac and MP3 music files to feed my Linn Sneaky DS, IPad etc. It currently runs Twonkymedia which I understand underpins the WD My Cloud storage.
I was thinking to get the 4TB model to futureproof my storage requirements, but as 500GB has lasted me for a good few years, I was wondering whether I should go for two 2tb Nas devices and split my data across them, with each acting as a backup target for the other? I guess that way I could have separate services for my low and hi res music files as well. Any opinions/ recommendations?

I just bought the 4tb MyCloud yesterday… and it is having some problems…

The private share that they say you can set for me is automatically swithching back to public so if you have any sensitive files, videos or pics everyone you allow access to will be able to see them.  I have a family so this is a problem for me also if you give access to this drive this will become a problem.  IF YOU ARE USING IT SOLEY FOR YOURSELF… it probably wont be a problem I imagine.

I came across problems setting it up i had several error messages at first so it was tedious.

Customer service number and card says they will set it up for you remotely… the number i got was a spanish computer generated message with a message that i could not understand and then it would just hang up on me… burned me up.

The features are not explained all that well.

The android wd photo app lets you see ALL PICS even the folders set to private.

But honestly if you are going to use this for your own personal use you should be good because despite all of the listed problems (and there were more i did not list)  it works pretty well.   So i would say if you are going to buy this give it some time so they will hopefully patch all that is wrong with it.

Thank you for your time,

Cedric

@Brantome,

Remember that the MyCloud has this Safepoint feature, which allows you to mirror your content to an attached USB disk or a network share. So if the price is not the issue, go for a big NAS and a USB disk that can accomodate your content. For example, I went for a 4TB NAS, but I only use a small portion of it at this time, small enough to mirror to an older 2TB USB disk I had already.

Brantome wrote:
Hi, i need to upgrade my ancient 500GB Buffalo linkstation which I use to store some data backups, as well as my Flac and MP3 music files to feed my Linn Sneaky DS, IPad etc. It currently runs Twonkymedia which I understand underpins the WD My Cloud storage.
I was thinking to get the 4TB model to futureproof my storage requirements, but as 500GB has lasted me for a good few years, I was wondering whether I should go for two 2tb Nas devices and split my data across them, with each acting as a backup target for the other? I guess that way I could have separate services for my low and hi res music files as well. Any opinions/ recommendations?

Hi Brantome,

The thing about forums is that you will read all sorts from the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

My drive worked since day 1 and I have never touched it since. It is sitting in the corner doing what is supposed to do.

I have the 3TB drive and would have gone for the 4TB if it wasn’t for the tight budget. I will follow this by another 3 TB USB 3.0 drive for backup. I mainly use mycloud like everyone else, movies, music, work, photograhy and the of course the kids and remote exended family :slight_smile:

I have 11 users, none can see each other. There is only  1 public share where everyone can dump stuff from as far away as Canada an Australia plus backing up 3 PCs and 3 DropBox accounts.

Good luck whatever you choose, the important thing for this large amount of  data is to have redundancy.

I found WD support, slow but they will respond and very polite and helpful. I used them few times to clarify things which were  not in the manual. Oh yes, please read the online manual first here http://support.wd.com/product/install.asp?groupid=904&lang=en

and for utilties here http://support.wd.com/product/download.asp?groupid=904&lang=en

You will get the most of it if you use Gigabit router and Gigabit Ethernet PC/MAC.

For wireless, this is a hit and run. depending on your router and signal strength. I am lucky that PS3 connect at 54 Mbps for streaming, and my iphone and ipad connects @250-300 Mbps. So make sure yoru router provide Wireless N. I also use wireless extender to boost the signal upstairs.

Good luck whatever your choice is.