Sharing Folder for Collaboration to Outside Organization?

I currently have My Home Cloud version storage and it is a bit limited in sharing a folder to an outside organization that does not want to have to create an account to access the shared folder. I wonder if the My Cloud Pro PR2100? I would like to just share a folder or file with someone outside our organization by just a link, like in dropbox. Is the My Cloud Pro series the answer?

It is not clear which device you currently have. The My Cloud Home and the My Cloud PR2100 are different devices than the single bay/single drive My Cloud which is the general subject of the My Cloud subforum. See the dedicated subforums for your respective device if you do not have a single bay/single drive My Cloud.

If one is interested in the My Cloud PR2100 they can review the user manual for that device to gain an understand of it’s operation and features.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/products/product-detail/p/138

The HomeCloud systems are (if memory serves) android based devices. . . and from what I have read they have an extremely limited feature set targeting total noobs.

The now-obsolete myclouds, and the proper WD NAS units (like the PR2100, EX2 ultra, etc.) are Linux based devices. While the features and details are different across the models; the basic functionality is basically the same.

SO - - → I have successfully gotten my EX2 ultra to talk across the web and I have been able to access files at will without using the WD Apps. I have learned ALOT about networking in the process.

Having done all that. . . . .I have come to the conclusion that the underlying WD software is several years old, only sporadically updated and simply is not up-to-snuff in terms of cyber security standards. I have now firewalled my various WD units and they are blocked from the internet.

When I need to share folders with people. . .I actually use dropbox and google drive. Much easier to share using those services; and the support is better. The company I work for (its a large one) has gone to Microsoft and almost everything of note is on OneDrive.

For “internal” network stuff, where I am not as concerned about Cyber problems, I have been very happy with the WD products. I am able to access quite seamlessly with Windows, an android tablet, and various DLNA devices (i.e. Roku)