Sharing files for everyone at home to see

Hi
I just purchased the My Cloud Home device to use as a central home media device. I want to put all my movies on it and access them through my Apple TV’s and computers while at home.
My question is a simple one, where should I store the movies so that they are accessible by all devices at home? Should the movies folder be stored inside the ‘Family’ folder or is there a better way?
The WD YouTube channel explains about ‘centralised content’ but for cloud services, not what I need to know.
I currently use Infuse as my media player on my Apple TV’s and I’m not sure whether I can continue to use that or whether I need to purchase PLEX instead.
All advice will be greatly received.
Thanks

After 2 Years of use it, I have only one suggestion for you.
Return the product as long as you are on time.
Very slow and abandoned from WD.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. Mine is running very fast at the moment. I haven’t tested it with multiple users at once, we shall see. I can’t return it.

No, put them in the “public” folder and then they are accessible via SMB protocol

Although my best experience has been with a DLNA device, which this is not without Plex, I keep everything I want to share in the Plex folder and then through the subfolders ‘Shared Photos, Shared Home Videos’ etc, all of the family can upload and access from any device, Apple, Android, Windows etc…its taken some time and I generally agree with a lot of the bad reviews of how this device coukd have been so much better, but I have overcome that and it works great for my setup. Good Luck.

What you have done is exactly what I want to do. I have Plex set up but at the moment, only I can see the Plex folder and all it’s content. Please can you explain what you did so that other members of the family are able to see that folder and access it’s content.
I know I can share a link to a folder but this opens in a web browser and not within the mobile app. I’d love to hear what you did to get it working. Thanks.

All members of the family use one single account for the MCH. I don’t use any ‘Family’ folder - we all use the same username and password. Auto Backup is turned on for all of our phones, tablets etc so pics and video automatically get stored in the MCH main folder that corresponds to the uploading device. From there we sort pics into the folders and create Albums that we can view and share from the MCH app on any device. On my Sony Android TV I use Plex to view these files. Hope this helps get you started. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.