ShareSpace does not respond after HD replacement

Hi guys,

I have a ShareSpace with 2x1TB WD Green Drives. I had to remove them and use them somewhere else for a few days (don’t ask… :smiley:). Now, when I returned them to the unit (they were reformatted) I’ve got a steady green power light and 2 steady HDD amber lights. Can’t reset the unit, can’t shut it dowm (only way is pulling out power cord), can’t access via browser… can’t do nothing…

Any ideas?

My understanding (and I might be wrong) is that the sharespace ls like a linux box, and the ‘firmware’ is the OS.  If you formatted the drive your screwed - the unit wont boot because you dont have the OS.

Umpa2011 wrote:

My understanding (and I might be wrong) is that the sharespace ls like a linux box, and the ‘firmware’ is the OS.  If you formatted the drive your screwed - the unit wont boot because you dont have the OS.

I think you’re right and remember reading somewhere that under the described circumstance the unit needs to be returned to WD. After the slow speed issue it’s probably the next major failing of this NAS device. 

The OS is not on the hard drives its in a flash rom on the motherboard of the unit.  I have pulled all the drives and replaced them with factory new drives in these units before without issue so the OS cannot be located on the drives themselves.  None the less I have also run into the same issue before.  Mine was “fixed” by removing all the drives, doing a hardware reset using the button by the network port in the mannor described in the manual, then putting in a single formatted drive in slot 1 of the unit and turning it on, after waiting for it to build the new file system I logged in via the web interface and shut down the unit, then installed the other drives, and finaly turned it back on and logged in to the web interface and set up the drives to the RAID level I wanted.  Im not saying that will work for yours in particular but it worked on the last one I had a similar (maybe the same) problem with.

1 Like

Whats a factory new drive ? and how did you format it ?

Regards

Ump…