Shared Media Streaming Issue

My device is a MyCloud EX2 Ultra and I’m encountering an issue with file streaming where the first movie upload (11GB) streams smoothly, but subsequent uploads prompt users to download the file when they access the link through a web browser. This streaming problem occurs consistently, and it doesn’t appear to be tied to a specific web browser or internet bandwidth, ruling out those factors. All the files I’m trying to share are located in my public folder, and neither file size nor naming conventions appear to be influencing the problem. Strangely, I can access the movies without any issues via my Network Attached Storage (NAS) and when using the VLC app on Apple TV.

The primary goal is to share these movies with my family, and I’ve set the sharing permissions to “public” to avoid requiring my 90-year-old parents to sign up for any additional services. While I primarily use a Mac, this issue doesn’t seem to be specific to the macOS platform. I’d appreciate any insights or solutions you might have. Thank you.

MyCloud EX2 Ultra, sorry should have included that. I also updated my original statement. Thanks!

I open the link in a browser and the movie plays upon clicking. One does this with no issues. The others all require to be downloaded. And thanks.

Thank you but to my knowledge, I’m not using any apps. I load the movie file to my EX2 Ultra into my public folder. Copy the link and send it to my family. One movie opens and plays fine via a browser, the others all ask the user to download in order to be played.

Where do I find that? I’ve heard of Plex before but don’t use it. I have VLC on my Apple TV and that allows me to watch my movies from the same file locations w/ no issues. To my knowledge I have no apps on my EX device itself?

Thanks, I really appreciate your guidance on this.

Now I can’t post any more replies for some reason. I’ll update this one and see if that works. Here is a link to a movie that works fine: A_CHRISTMAS_CAROL.mp4

This is a smaller file that for some reason needs to be downloaded in order to run: MaggieDanceRecital2014.mp4

Update from your suggestions below because I’m now unable to reply. Thank you! You are probably onto something w/ with the link/space limitation. The movie that works fine is my first ever posting to that public folder. All later ones, even as I’ve made them smaller, seem to be the issue. I’m guessing 1 + X is now putting me over some limit. The original file was 11GB and the next smallest is 776MB and perhaps that in total has maxed me out. I appreciate your insight. Apparently I have to wait 21 hours for my next post. Wow…

File streaming issue on My Cloud EX2 Ultra persists after first movie upload. Shared movies prompt download instead of streaming.