Shared media folder locked?

I have been using a My Book World Edition as backup storage for Time Machine.  i recently wanted to also use it to store music, pictures, etc, to be accessed by my blu-ray player, iTunes, etc.  However, when I try to drag and drop files into the Shared Music, Shared Pictures, Shared Videos folders, i get a grey “forbidden” icon (circle with diagonal line through it).  Are these somehow locked and how do I get access to them?  Sorry if this is a stupid question.  Thanks in advance.

did you initially partion your external drive; if not then you cannot now use it to store pictures etc since Time Machine only backs up applications.  I would suggest that you acquire another drive or erase and reconfigure accordingly, but this will mean losing all your Time Machine backups.

You’re saying that the Time Machine backup has to be in a separate partition from the Shared folders?  I didn’t see anything in the documentation indicating that.  I have been able to create other folders and files on the hard drive in the same place as the Time Machine backup, the Shared folders are somehow different?  Thanks very much for your response.