Share a subfolder in EX2

Hi
I have created to main folders, disk1 and disk2 in jbod mode. All of my datas are in these main folders which shows the disk number 1 and disk number 2.
Now i want to give access to my users in some subfolders. Its so easy in windows to do so.
But i didnot find any option in wd ex2 web gui
How can i share a sub folder in wd ex2 ?

You cannot.

1 Like

It’s  a shame for an expert File server like EX2, even my wireless router can do it

why WD don’t add this feature  ?

I had copied 6TB of my data’s and it took 3 days to complete and now I cannot give access to my users for special folders

it’s a major problem in EX2 , and WD should Fix it !!!

david001 wrote:
Hi
I have created to main folders, disk1 and disk2 in jbod mode. All of my datas are in these main folders which shows the disk number 1 and disk number 2.
Now i want to give access to my users in some subfolders. Its so easy in windows to do so.
But i didnot find any option in wd ex2 web gui
How can i share a sub folder in wd ex2 ?

Maybe you didn’t explain it well enough or maybe I didn’t understand you correctly. I re-read your first post and am not sure which level of folder you are asking to share.

My earlier answer was based on the understanding that you are asking how to share folders inside the top level folders you can create on EX2 known as shares. That is say on JBOD disk1 you created a share called Disk 1. And so that we do not confuse each other let’s stick to the terminology used by WD for EX2 - the top level folders you create through the dashboard are called shares. And let’s say then you copied a bunch of folders to that share Disk1. Then if you want to give your users access only to certain folders inside the share Disk1, that you cannot…you can only give access to the entire share Disk1 to whichever user you want - but you cannot pick and choose which subfolders inside the share you want to give access to. But you most certainly can create multiple shares on each hard drive. Let’s say you create two shares on disk number 1 - called Accounting and Marketing resectively. Then you can put all data that Accounting team needs access to inside Accounting share and grant the users who are from the team access to that share. And you can do the same with Marketing. If there are some users who need access to files in both shares then grant them access to both shares. It’s really that simple. I don’t know why you are making it more difficult than it actually is.

1 Like

Hi

Thanks for your reply, maybe I should make more share folders and move my data’s to them

but it’s a business class unit , we need to manage our data’s by making folders and subfolders

In my wireless router that i had exampled I can make upto 6 users and choose which folder they have access or which folders be shown . it has linux OS too.

But it’s a NAS. It should do more. Don’t you think so ?