Selecting Play on a video folder opens the folder.jpg image instead of playing the iso file

I have my movies on a networked drive (not connected directly to the unit) in individual folders.  For example, I have a folder titled Aeon Flux.  Inside the folder, I have folder.jpg and Aeon Flux.iso.  After reading many posts on this forum, I finally got my Folders set up this way and by doing so, my  cover art jpgs are displayed when listing all the folders.

I read a forum which states that I should be able to select Play from the folder view to start playing the movie.  For me, this opens the folder.jpg image inside the folder.  To play the movie, I have to open the folder and navigate to the iso file to start playing.  Is this the way the firmware currently works?  I think the forum entry was talking about a hacked firmware update and not the original WD.

yup, same here.  apparently the WDTV is not set up properly for NETWORK SHARES, which i use also.

■■■■ i know.

there was a FIX, check my posts if you like, but it stopped working with the last updated.  i’m trying to figure out why.

it’s because it shows ALL MEDIA in VIDEO mode, when it should only show and play the video files and same goes for MUSIC section.

Thanks for the validation.  Guess I’ll wait for a software update.

i think you’ll be waiting a long long long long long time…

Found a post and confirms this works as of today … and I have the latest version

…name the image .folder.jpg

yup…add a period in front of the file name.  I just did it and it worked on 5 diff folders…

so my folders look like this:

Moves\Rocky\

Moves\Rocky II\

Moves\Rocky III\

and in the folders can be teh JPG and AVI files, like this

.folder.jpg

rocky.avi

…or it can have the JPG with DVD files, like this

.folder.jpg

video_ts.bup

video_ts.ifo

vts_01_1.vob

…etc … you get the idea

kspence wrote:

Found a post and confirms this works as of today … and I have the latest version

…name the image .folder.jpg

yup…add a period in front of the file name.  I just did it and it worked on 5 diff folders…

so my folders look like this:

Moves\Rocky\

Moves\Rocky II\

Moves\Rocky III\

and in the folders can be teh JPG and AVI files, like this

.folder.jpg

rocky.avi

…or it can have the JPG with DVD files, like this

.folder.jpg

video_ts.bup

video_ts.ifo

vts_01_1.vob

…etc … you get the idea

I believe it only works because the thumbnails are kept in a cache on the WDTV. If you disconnect the unit from power for a period of time then that cache will disappear and so will your thumbnails. The jpg must be labelled folder and the addition of a period changes that name.