Select files wont play over network fine on USB stick

So a new problem had sprung up for me. I have my media files networked from a WIn 7 PC over cable to the WD Live. 

All has been fine until yesterday, 2 files give me an invalid media message from I try to stream them from the PC, however if I copy them to a USB stick and plug that into the Live, the files play fine…other files in the same directory on the PC will playback fine, so its not a share issue.

I assume its something to do with these files and the network, one file is an avi, the other an mkv, have no idea what though. There is nothing funky in the naming convention, no odd characters etc

Anyone got any ideas? 

WD Live is on latest firmware and has been factory reset

Welcome to the forums.

A few people have reported similar issues with no good resolutions to this yet.  I know you said the name was okay, but have you tried renaming them to something really simple, like one.avi or something?

We could eliminate the file itself if you could post it somewhere with a link to it (that would only work if it was small enough for someone else here to download and try it).  You could also try posting the media information (using something like mediainfo) just in case something jumps out at us.

Can you confirm whether you’re connecting via Media Server or via Network Shares?

Like Mike says, grab MediaInfo and copy/paste the info for a troublesome file here, might help narrow down the problem.

The problem started on network share, which makes me wonder about something in the latest two updates to windows 7 64 bit, however it is odd that existing files work fine.

I have renamed the files to one…no good…

ANY new file over network share says unknown format, but plays fine from USB stick’. I am thinking its definitely something to do with win 7 and not the wd player. What it is though I have no clue. 

I dont think it can be AV related, I run MS security Essentials, as older files, i.e. ones that were in the shared directory work fine. Any new files I add to the shared directory now do not play

Might try rolling back to before the last two 64 bit updates the other day…

Media info on one of the files plays on stick not on network share, if it helps:

Format : Matroska
File size : 1.09 GiB
Duration : 42mn 37s
Overall bit rate : 3 671 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2010-05-01 18:40:15
Writing application : mkvmerge v2.9.5 ('Tu es le seul') built on Jun 17 2009 16:28:30
Writing library : libebml v0.7.8 + libmatroska v0.8.1
Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@3.1
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 3 285 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Resolution : 8 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.143
Stream size : 980 MiB (88%)
Writing library : x264 core 94 r1564 a927654
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / wpredp=0 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc=2pass / mbtree=0 / bitrate=3285 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00
Audio
ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Format_Settings_ModeExtension : CM (complete main)
Codec ID : A_AC3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Stream size : 117 MiB (10%)
Language : English

Meh worked it out…had been messing with UAC and had set it back to default. By doing this meant that the new files didnt get tagged with the everyone access which the WDlive needed to utilise them. So it could see the files but I guess not interact with them

Wonder how many more issues are caused by UAC…

Hmmm, thanks for the update.  That might help others.

(Microsoft sure put their food in it with UAC – biggest PITA I’ve ever seen).