Seemingly random disconnects

I spent a lot of time trying to get the unit from seemingly arbitrarily disconnecting.  I would have mapped to shares (Win8) and after a while both the unit and the shares were all of a sudden no longer available even though everything was still connected as required.  Even WD Discovery could no longer find it.

The only thing that helped was to unplug the power cord and plug it back in after 30 seconds.  Since that is unaceptable I got an RMA for a new unit but then I found out that under Settings there is an Energy Saver setting.  Do yourself a favor and turn Drive Sleep OFF.  I have had no further disconnects and everything is working as it should.  There is nothing in the manual as to how to bring it back out of sleep mode.

Since there is no manual with the unit and it is FAR from plug-and-pay, those interested can find the manual here

http://wd.com/wdproducts/library/?id=439&type=25

This post seems to indicate the cure for the random disconnect, however do be careful with setting a fixed ip as if you enter it incorrectly, sometimes there is no recovery even with a reset. 

Workaround for Disconnect Problem - Works for all my and my dealers clients

Also another possible cure is to turn off the energy saver mode.

good luck