Security myCloud mirror issues

Dear Reader,

My myCloud mirror is setup and working at home. However anyone on my Lan can acces it without the need to fill in a password or any username. How can I ensure that only people can acces it with a valid user name and password?

On  http://wdmycloudmirror.local I have only one user with password set on but it still does not block other on my Lan.

Many thanks,

Alex

Are you saying they can access the SHARES on the Cloud, or are you saying they can access the management UI?

The SHARES must be marked as “Private” if you don’t want unauthorized access.

The PUBLIC Share cannot be blocked.

Do you mean access the dashboard (the url you posted) or do you mean access files and folders on the drive itself?

The dashboard should pop up a log-in prompt when you access it, which you need to fill in with your username and password before you can get to the dashboard.

Similarly for access to the files/folders via the network (SMB) you may be able to see them, but again you should only actually have access to the files/folders (shares) which are granted to your user (and then whether it’s read only or read/write).

The users (aside from “admin”) are created on the dashboard, as are the shares themselves.

Hi Tony,

Thank your for your reaction. All files on the cloud can be accessed by anyone on my network via Wi-Fi. For example, my brother can access all the folders on the device without the need to enter a password or anything. 

What I would like to achieve is that only users that have login details can acces the device and not just anyone on my network. I hope this makes it clearer.

Hi Darren,

Thank your for your reaction. The access dashbord can only be accessed with valid login details.

What I would like to achieve is that only users that have login details can acces the device and not just anyone on my network.  All files on the cloud can be accessed by anyone on my network via Wi-Fi. For example, my brother can access all the folders on the device without the need to enter a password or anything. 

I hope this makes it clearer.

Tony’s point about the shares is the key one here. It looks to me like you’ve put all your files/folders in the pre-existing default public share rather than creating a new one, hence anyone can access them. What you need as he correctly stated is private shares.

However what you can do via the dashboard is create users and shares (shares being separate controllable folder trees on the MCM), and those shares can be made either public or private. If you make them private, then you assign access rights (read/write, read-only or none) to the users on your MCM.

If you put your files in such private shares (you can have multiple ones if you wish), then by controlling what privs you give each user you can control who can access what on the MCM. But the key point is to make sure that you set the shares up as private and not public. See the bottom part of page 54 and onwards for details of setting shares to be private.

For details of setting up users (and user groups) on the MCM see section 5 of the manual (page 41)  and for details on shares see page 51 of the same document (also section 5). The public/private set-up for the share is the third item down (below the shares name and description) in its profile details (the top ON/OFF slider switch).

Note that the default public share cannot be set to private (nor can it be deleted) as various of the built-in media servers on the MCM require it to exist and be accessible to all.

Guys thank you!

Just solved it. I simply had to turn of the public button on the other folders than Shared. 

Thank your for your time.